F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

loosing power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosing power?

Its starting to get alot colder out cause i live in chicago so my riding time is getting smaller. well i went riding today and it was cool outside, so i figured that the cooler outside the better the bike would perform cause colder air makes more power kinda thing. Well first off when i started up the bike it had a rough idle at just over 3000 rpm. Which i know its supposed to be alitttle high for it to warm up properly but dont ever believe it warmed up at 3k rpm. i thought that was interesting at first and then i was giving it some throttle to see if maybe it wasnt stuck or something. well it felt like the handle bars had a vibration. something that i havent really felt my bike do before. after riding around and getting it warmed up the vibration went away but it just seemed like the bike didnt have as much kick to it as it normally does. acceleration between 3-7k rpm seemed slow. So i cam to the conclusion that there could be something wrong with my CCT again. I bought a APE and had it installed, and it ran awesome but i think the clicking sounds have gradually been coming back. is it possible that the CCT may have came alittle loose, or they put it on too tight and messed something up. It never says anywhere on exactly how loose or tight the thing should be. Would that loose power if it was loose or too tight? thanks

Old 10-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: loosing power?

It'd lose a bit of power if too tight due to friction -- and cause unnecessary wear on the chain, sprockets and bushings. Basically with the manual cct you tighten a little at a time until the "slap" around 5-7K rpms goes away. I doubt it would start losing power after a couple thousand miles. Could be your IAT (intake air temp) sensor -- with cold weather it may be goofing on you. Way to find out is when you get a break in the cold --crank her up and see how it runs.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: loosing power?

Sorry -- forgot to mention that if it's a louder ticking then it could be your valves needing adjusting. The loose cam chain is more of a slapping sound when you let off the throttle.