F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

looking for selling advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for selling advice

I might have to sell my bike for a long distance off-roading trip I absolutely love my F4i, it's my first/only bike and I've put more than 20k mi on it in 4 years. I'm crazy about the bike, and it will break my heart to sell it. But at least at present I'd like to see it go rather than run it to the ground.
So much for the tearshed, now the questions:

My plastics are cracked. You wouldn't notice anything from a distance, but suffices to say there are zipties in a couple of places. Functionally the bike runs awesome (and I'm sure it will at least till it's 120k mi old!). I'm debating whether I should get the $500 plastics set off ebay to sell it (I'll be honest to the buyer about this, but the bike will look shiny new). Here's the condition:

2002 yellow/black
27k mi (and counting until I sell it)
chain/sprocket is 530/-1 in front, with 7kmi on both.
cracked plastics as mentioned above
Scorpion slipon
Some scratches on rear swingarm
Rear tire is patched from a nail last week , but otherwise tires have about 1kmi (Metzeler M3's)
~5 track days, no mods for this
Seattle, WA

what d'you guys think? plastics or not? how much will I get for it? I need to do this right!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set from acutmarts but they sent me the wrong front so ill have it in a few days. but overall it looks nice, no cracks or scratches, a few flaws in the clearcoat (dust in it, and a few bleed marks where colors meet) but noting noticeable unless you get right up in my ****. now if you were gonna buy them to sell the bike I would say put some heat protection them so you don't get the guy freaking out about them melting (some people have had this problem, so I did mine.) everyone i know personally that have a used bike bought it with damage. so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

In Maine this winter I paid $3600 for my 02 yellow/black with some cosmetic damage and 11k miles with a two bros CF Pipe with some little extras.

Last edited by fubbzie; 03-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 PM

I for one would sell it as is. You aren't going to get a 100% return if you buy the ebay fairings. I'd just be alittle worried about how many people are in the market for a motorcycle in Seattle aka rain all year. Just go to kbb, check the retail value for the bike, and then add acouple hundred to it but expect to get alittle less than retail for it.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by teko1020
I for one would sell it as is. You aren't going to get a 100% return if you buy the ebay fairings. I'd just be alittle worried about how many people are in the market for a motorcycle in Seattle aka rain all year. Just go to kbb, check the retail value for the bike, and then add acouple hundred to it but expect to get alittle less than retail for it.
As he said really no point in buying new fairings, bought mine with a cracked tail fairing and damaged front and left and it did not change the way I looked at it.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Let the new owner buy the fairings, who knows maybe they won't like yours and want something completely different. If you spend 500 in fairings, you prob won't get your 500 back in the sale.

How much are you going to sell it for?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 AM

I bought my 02 with the fairings all messed up and that was fine by me because I love to do body work and paint so I re-did the whole bike. Also the bike I bought had around 19K and no other mods and I paid 2800 for it.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 AM

wanna sell the scorpion slip on ? Depending on which one it is

Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Default hm

thanks guys... will try to patch it up as best I can then. There's a fair amount of bikes in Seattle, since you can commute year-round (not much snow) and get at least 4-5 months of good riding season (last summer was 4 months straight without a storm front).

drew0387- I have a gray scorpion can (prev owner bead-blasted the color out and put the decal back... so its flat gray) that's slightly bent at the mount from a car bumping it, if you pay shipping I'll send it to you! Still _sounds_ the same as a new one. The bend is not evident unless you look at the mount specifically.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Just be aware, and a good rule of thumb is, unless someone is looking, or wants your extras, you can't ask substantially any more. So if you're exhuast cost 500 lets say, you ask 100 extra. Also, anything that's wrong, like the fairings, and tire, and changing of stock gearing (not saying that's wrong, just not a positive for some), you'll have to deduct slightly, or leave your asking price where it is, and expect to go down.

Check KBB on it, and go with that, but don't undersell it. It's still a bike, and sounds like it runs and looks fine.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ampfp
thanks guys... will try to patch it up as best I can then. There's a fair amount of bikes in Seattle, since you can commute year-round (not much snow) and get at least 4-5 months of good riding season (last summer was 4 months straight without a storm front).

drew0387- I have a gray scorpion can (prev owner bead-blasted the color out and put the decal back... so its flat gray) that's slightly bent at the mount from a car bumping it, if you pay shipping I'll send it to you! Still _sounds_ the same as a new one. The bend is not evident unless you look at the mount specifically.

Just send me a message to contact me, i have no problem paying for shipping.