F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

laws regarding license plate relocation in california....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laws regarding license plate relocation in california....

When I purchased my bike the license plate was relocated to the back of the chain. Also instead of it being horizontal it is vertical . Does anyone know if that is illegal? I don't want to get pulled over by a cop if it is. I'm trying to keep everything legal on the bike.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Default RE: laws regarding license plate relocation in california....

In Nebraska, the plate has to be visible from behind the bike. If its vertical or not its legal in Nebraska. I mounted mine under my undertail and its legal. If your really that worried about it, contact your local law enforcment and have them inspect your bike and get it in writing that its legal. Otherwise, unless your breaking the law, you shouldn't be pulled over.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM

thank you stephens

Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California Motorcycle License Plates _ Google is an amazing tool

Where can I put my license plate?
So you've chopped your tail and you want to stick that license plate in a new and creative location. Here are some things to consider:
5200. (b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear.
5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground.
I do know someone who had his license tucked way under his tail just above the front of the rear tire; he got a ticket for this location. When it comes down to really unorthodox placement, it all boils down to whether or not a cop who cares gets behind you.

4850. (a) The department, upon registering a motorcycle, shall issue to the owner one partially or fully reflectorized license plate.
(z) Whether the plate ends up being partially or fully reflectorized depends on the condition of the rain forest at the time of plate manufacturing.
4852. Motorcycle license plates shall measure seven inches in length and four inches in width, and the characters on the plates shall have a minimum height of one and one-half inches and a minimum width of nine-sixteenths inches, and shall have a minimum spacing between characters of three-sixteenths of an inch.
(z) The shape of a motorcycle plate is not provided, as the License Plate Design Committee was participating in a team-building seminar during the formalization of this specific code.
5004.5. Any owner of a motorcycle manufactured in the year 1942 or prior thereto shall be issued special license plates for the motorcycle.
(z) The year 1942 was selected after intensive historical research and a brief consultation with a Ouija board.
5060. (2) Special interest license plates authorized under this article may be issued for use on a motorcycle. That license plate shall contain a five digit configuration issued in sequential numerical order or, pursuant to Section 5103, in a combination of numbers or letters. There shall be a space to the left of the numerical series for a distinctive design or decal and the characters shall contrast sharply with the uniform background color. No motorcycle plate containing a full plate graphic design is authorized. Those particular special interest license plates that were issued prior to the discontinuation provided by this paragraph may continue to be used and attached to the vehicle for which they were issued and may be renewed, retained, or transferred pursuant to this code.
5061. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if the department permits the issuance of a special interest license plate for display on a motorcycle, the department shall not approve any design for that plate that incorporates either or both of the following:
(b) Any special interest license plate issued for display on a motorcycle is subject to the same fees that are collected for the issuance and retention of special interest license plates on other vehicles.
5101.3. (a) Any Pearl Harbor survivor may apply for special license plates which shall run in a separate numerical series and shall contain the words "Pearl Harbor Survivor." The plates may be issued for any vehicle, except a vehicle used for transportation for hire, compensation, or profit, or a motorcycle.
(z) After intensive testing with various type sizes, the License Plate Design Committee determined there was no way to fit "Pearl Harbor Survivor" onto a smaller plate.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:40 PM

Ryan! I would not worry about it. I would worry about scraping it on a turn. I use to have this set up, but ended up drilling holes for it to hang proper on the tail.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM

i mount mine on the back of my helmet.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hum, I just leave mine at home mounted on the wall. When I go by cops, I flip them off and when I finally get caught I try to explain that I am Fletch and this is all just a game. It never works