F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Just flipped the bike :-(... link to pix now added

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Fox
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just flipped the bike :-(......

Are you fixing or parting it out?

Old 07-07-2006, 07:46 PM

You had liability insurance only? NOT COVERED! (I know because my wife is in the insurance business)

Comprehensive? EHHHK! Wrong answer! Thank you for playing! Comp only cover NON accident issues (theft, flood, fire, etc)

What you needed was Collision (Insurance for crash damage to YOUR vehicle that are YOUR fault and not someone else's).

Sorry buddy, SOL.

But you're alive!

Old 07-08-2006, 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: 06CBRF4i

My own personal first bike yea. But i grew up riding dirt bikes and have ridden my friends YZF-600 for the last 1.5 yrs pretty often
Yea i know all about the not downshifting in high RPMs, but I think it all just happened so fast I wasnt really thinking right ya know.... I just wanted it to go into second but when it wouldnt instinctively i put it back in first. I think I'll stay away from the upper rpm's for a while.

Well, at least everyone here isn't hearing about your funeral, like the 19-year old in San Jose who died last Friday night. CBR600RR first bike.
Riding dirt bikes doesn't mean **** when it comes to a modern Supersport bike. All it means is that you know how to handle a dirt bike in off road conditions. Period. Riding someone else's bike intermittently cannot prepare you for the kind of power the new bikes have. I hope you develop enough intelligence to recognize this after what you just did. You obviously don't have the skills required by modern SS bikes.

Flame me, call me a b----, I don't care. But whatever you do, learn HOW TO RIDE YOUR BIKE SAFELY. It's pretty obvioius from your post you don't have enough experience to really utilize the bike to it's full. These are NOT learner bikes, maybe you can at least to begin to understand that now. So how old are you anyway, about 18 or 19? You'd be better off selling a bike like this far beyond your ability, getting a true beginner's bike like an EX250. I know plenty of experienced riders who can smoke guys on Gixxer 750's on twisty roads on one of those. It's all about the rider, not the bike.

If your choice of bike is 'cause it's cool............well you might end up cool all right. It's really cool inside the refridgerated compartment of the local Morgue.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Fox
Banned

It's all about vanity. I see posers riding through in the rain, no shirt, no gloves, in sandals. Wearing a lid, but only because you have to in Boston. That's just the way it works.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:54 PM

quicklimegirl, I cant agree with you more. I'm pretty much still a Nu B, and I made a mistake/ too fast of a reaction without thinking about it. I've learned my lesson for now.

Oh and BTW I just got back from the dealer looking over the bike and getting the estimate. Any guesses???
NOOPE YOUR WRONG..... LOL

$4982.67.......... that includes the pick up and estimate charges, labor, tax etc.

So I think Im just gonna have them fix the clutch handle lever, and left rear set/clutch pedal assemb. just so i can get it home... then slowly do the work myself.

My main concern in the front cowl, the dealer wants $668.93 for it and www.bikebandit.com wants $630.55 + shipping i think. But i dont know if they come already painted or I'd have to get the one from them painted. The one from the dealer comes painted and decaled. I've looked on Ebay and they dont have hardly any Candy tahitian Blue parts!! only red, yellow, silver & black. So even If i buy one of those off ebay, for like $500-$575 or more I'll still have to get it painted which could cost another $100 So would yall be safe to say it would be best just to get the front cowl from the dealer? Unless of course I can find one on E-bay or elsewhere for like $300-$350. Any help or idea's would be appreciated. Thanks!!

EDIT::: ok well i just spoke with a customer service rep, from bikebandit.com and they dont have the schmatics for 06' F4i yet. only the 01-05 models. meaning they have the front cowls in the style I need b/c those yrs are the same as the 06' but they dont have the color I need Candy blue. So even if I were to buy one from them i'd have to get it painted which in the end would prob cost more then getting it from the dealer!! I guess i'll be patient and keep an eye out on ebay! Sorry for kinda venting, i've been in a crappy mood and this kinda makes me feel better !!! [&:]

EDIT::: Also If I were to buy a used Speedo & tach Combo Used with say 15k miles on it, when i install it on my bike will it show the 15k or the 450 mi that are actually on my bike?? I know on cars the miles are stored in the computer/separate chip so it doesnt matter if you change them or not. Are bikes the same or different? Thanks for the help/info.....

Old 07-08-2006, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Quicklimegirl

My own personal first bike yea. But i grew up riding dirt bikes and have ridden my friends YZF-600 for the last 1.5 yrs pretty often
Yea i know all about the not downshifting in high RPMs, but I think it all just happened so fast I wasnt really thinking right ya know.... I just wanted it to go into second but when it wouldnt instinctively i put it back in first. I think I'll stay away from the upper rpm's for a while.

Well, at least everyone here isn't hearing about your funeral, like the 19-year old in San Jose who died last Friday night. CBR600RR first bike.
Riding dirt bikes doesn't mean **** when it comes to a modern Supersport bike. All it means is that you know how to handle a dirt bike in off road conditions. Period. Riding someone else's bike intermittently cannot prepare you for the kind of power the new bikes have. I hope you develop enough intelligence to recognize this after what you just did. You obviously don't have the skills required by modern SS bikes.

Flame me, call me a b----, I don't care. But whatever you do, learn HOW TO RIDE YOUR BIKE SAFELY. It's pretty obvioius from your post you don't have enough experience to really utilize the bike to it's full. These are NOT learner bikes, maybe you can at least to begin to understand that now. So how old are you anyway, about 18 or 19? You'd be better off selling a bike like this far beyond your ability, getting a true beginner's bike like an EX250. I know plenty of experienced riders who can smoke guys on Gixxer 750's on twisty roads on one of those. It's all about the rider, not the bike.

If your choice of bike is 'cause it's cool............well you might end up cool all right. It's really cool inside the refridgerated compartment of the local Morgue.

I couldn't have said it better! Been thinking the same thing since it was first posted.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:40 PM

Oh and i didnt even notice the thing where quicklime girl posted about my age. No im not 18 or 19. Im 23.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:15 PM

06cbrf4i what exactly did you do go around a turn and miss second gear and shift back to 1st cuasing engine breaking?

Old 07-08-2006, 05:54 PM

quicklimegirl, I cant agree with you more. I'm pretty much still a Nu B, and I made a mistake/ too fast of a reaction without thinking about it. I've learned my lesson for now.
Well, it sounds like you are man enough to learn from your mistakes, so if I could I'd shake your hand. Thanks for not taking it too personal the somewhat harsh post I wrote, but it's really distressing to see your type of incident, and much worse, repeated on a regular basis! This week I'm especially cognizent of all the factors that go into a young person learning how to ride safe. I've been mentoring my 19-year old Nephew, to the initial chagrin of my Sister, his Mom, who's an ICU Nurse. You know what that means to the idea of her son riding.....

Recently though, she came around. Thanked me for trying to steer him in the right direction. I didn't even start him on the pristine '95 Ninja 250 I'd found for him. He'd never ridden at all, so I had him learn the controls on the much easier (although fairly quick) little 2-stroke vintage Yamaha I have, an RD60. After a few weeks he took & passed the MSF, had his full MC endorsement, but I still made him practice an entire weekend in an abandoned parking lot on his Ninja. I had him practice panic stops among other stuff, and get used to the feel of new dynamics inherent to a 4-stroke, such as engine braking. Luckily for us all, he kept his ego at home and was receptive to my strict conditions.

By the time we had done a few hundred miles of all types of conditions, wet surfaces, newly chip-sealed roads, country twisties, freeways & heavy traffic arterials, you could see him gaining confidence and smoothness. On Sunday, on the way home from a really nice ride on a very technical (twisty) road, I was planning in my head a timetable to allow him to take the bike home, on his own. I felt a couple more weekends he might be ready.....

Not 5 minutes later a stupid girl about his age pulled in front of him on the highway (waaaay too close for comfort) and continued onto the shoulder (thankfully, or so I thought). She stopped, and then suddenly pulls right into his path to make a U-turn. He had nowhere to go. He did not panic and did a masterful job of braking and almost got stopped in time. Ended up hitting her, was unhurt but the bike's front end is toast. The State Trooper was great; she had no license or insurance on her, the car had expired tags, it's owner riding along, no insurance. We had all our licenses, registration, insurance. He was thoroughly unimpressed with her and gave her a $1000 Negligent Driving ticket.

So the point of my erstwhile thread hijack here is convey that until you have mastered your bike fully to where you can do stuff automatically without panicking and keep your attention fully on the idiots around you, you'll never be as safe as possible.

Another thing about a smaller bike like[IMG][/IMG] the Ninja 250 is it's much cheaper to insure. Being old allows me full-coverage @ 165/yr., and they quoted him before the crash, about $370 year for full coverage.

Besides the very gratifying result of him not getting injured, his Mom did not freak out and thanked me & my BF for taking the time to help train him. I really think the newly scrubbed-in Sport Demons, his MSF training and extra practice saved him from injury, even serious injury.

I wish you good luck in fixing your bike and hope you can ride incident-free for many years.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 PM

Quicklimegirl, Im glad he is ok. I did the same thing you did for him but on my own. I took the big even though i've ridden before and went to a big empty parking lot, practicing quick stops, slight swerves, etc etc. and I am very cautious of my surroundings. however, i guess in this situation my brain isnt as fast as my hands and feet, i need to practice that some more!! LOL.

and 95camaro01f4i, No i didnt do that, I was at about 11-12k rpms it wouldnt go into second after trying a few times I put it back in first and not thinking i shifted like normal. I just let the clutch out and gave some gas well forgot how high the rpms were when i went to shift into 2nd they spiked that high again so fast the bike just flipped. kinda like doing a wheelie and over doing it.

Can anyone answer my ?'s on my 2nd to last post about the speedo and miles?!?!?

Quick Reply: Just flipped the bike :-(... link to pix now added