F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Instrument Cluster Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Question

Hi all

I just picked up my first CBR. Its an 01 600 F4i. Can't wait to try it out come the spring.

At this point its a bit of a project to start with. The bike has been in an accident and has some cosmetic damage.

Before I fix the cosmetic damage I want take care of the mechanical stuff first. I just put in a new battery and the bike starts and runs perfect. No problems at all there.

My dash though seems to have some issues. When the key is in the off position, the F1 indicator is sort of flashing very faintly (sort of like its half on). Other than that nothing else seems to be on.

When I turn the key to the on position the F1 light comes on bright until the fuel pump has cycled and then shuts off. After that the bike will start up no problem, but the dash remains dead. The tach is stuck at about 2000 rpm. Every once and a while I can very faintly see on the digital read out a 2 bars and a small letter A in a box. These are very faint and fade away shortly after turning the key on.

Does that sound like a dead dash to you, or should I be looking elsewhere.

Short term my plan is to find a service manual for this bike with schematics and start out there, looking to see if any wires are damaged, or something like that. But figured I would throw it on here and see if anyone else has had a similar issue with the dash.

I have checked the fuses and all is good there. All other electrical on the bike seems to work fine, just funny things happening with the module.

If it is the module, is there a recommended replacement part. Ie. buy someting off E-Bay, aftermarket, or should I go straight to Honda?

Thanks for the info guys and I look forward to being a member on this board.

Jason

Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 AM

download the service manual it's on here somewhere.... look through your wires... with damage something might have gotten chewed up and causing abnormal reading/resistance/shorts .... i hope thats all it is i found alot of hidden wiring issues in my project ...service guide worth it's weight in gold

Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Started tearing it apart tonight. Pulled off the display, and went to look at the tiny connectors on the back of it. One of the connectors was half way out. Pushed it back in, and everything works perfect. So mechanically the bike is ready to go. Now I need to look for some plastics to replace the damaged stuff. Fingers crossed the transmission is in good shape and hopefully come spring I will have a decent bike.
Jason

Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!

the transmission is pretty damn strong.... i went through mine and it is in great shape... the previous owner did tons of clutch ups... and rode it hard and put it away wet....i would look the clutch over i found a shattered disk...

when you change your oil check for gold color shavings every time you change the oil... just a strong recommendation.. might get to a worn bearing early .... might as well check valve clearances since we are in winter..

not knowing the true history of a bike is a funny feeling... i was planning to go through mine the moment i got... but got some riding in and i wish i would have ripped it apart day one.

not telling you what to do..just some thoughts will give you more comfort for your longer rides. good luck man enjoy the ride and watch out for the 4wheeling tards not paying attention

Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM

How bad is the plastic? Where are the PICS?

Glad your dash problem was so easily fixed.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Basically the front fairing that goes around the light is smashed to pieces. The front fender is almost snapped in two. So those two pieces are write offs. The rest of the bike is in good shape. No damage.

The headlight assembly is smashed and the mount that the display was mounted on is bent.

As for pics the bike is torn apart right now, not much use getting pics of it right now.

Another question I have is headlight assemblies. Looking on ebay I see a lot of aftermarket reproductions from China. Has anyone tried one of these and if so, how was the fitup? I'm going to check with some local wreckers and see what they have, but want to keep my options open.