F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I need to check everything!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to check everything!!

Alright guys, I have my bike tore just about down to the wiring, frame, engine, and wheels. Before I bought it, it went through a terrible crash and I want to do a maintenance check on everything! Heres my question, what all do I need to check? Any info would be appreciated! Merry Christmas Everybody!

Old 12-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by donnygeewebb
...Before I bought it, it went through a terrible crash and I want to do a maintenance check on everything! Heres my question, what all do I need to check?...
Everything. ;-) All joking aside, you really do if its been thru a terrible crash like you say.

Do you have a more specific question regarding specific parts? Obviously, you'll want to verify that the main frame is straight, the subframe is straight, swingarm is straight, wheels are true, forks are straight, engine mount locations for stress cracks, engine case cracks, etc etc etc.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a clymers and factory manual. Be through, go through each sub-section and do
all of the recommended maintenance. Anything that catches your eye, tear it down and re-build it. The task list is daunting but just stick to one component at a time.
A project of this scope is hard to give specific advice for up-front. Hence Gotcbr's
comment (I almost said the same thing, lol). Where we can help is on the individual issues/projects as you deal with them.

Good luck and Merry Christmas, Ern

Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Alright, Where can I get one of these manuals you speak of?

Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Everything. ;-) All joking aside, you really do if its been thru a terrible crash like you say.

Do you have a more specific question regarding specific parts? Obviously, you'll want to verify that the main frame is straight, the subframe is straight, swingarm is straight, wheels are true, forks are straight, engine mount locations for stress cracks, engine case cracks, etc etc etc.
I made sure all of these were good before I purchased the bike. There is no way I was going to spend upwards of 1000 dollars to get a new frame for a crashed bike lol. I'd just assume to buy a new bike instead

Old 12-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

you can find the manuals on ebay for pretty cheap. I know there is a soft copy of the factory manual floating around for you to download and print out if you don't want to buy one.

hondatech.info: Honda service manuals

here has the F4i as a pdf and a zip file

Old 12-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like to supplement my factory Honda shop manual w/ other sources. I have a Clymer as well. No two manuals are the same. They show dif views & often describe procedures in a dif format, which can be helpful if you're unsure from your first reading in a dif manual.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
you can find the manuals on ebay for pretty cheap. I know there is a soft copy of the factory manual floating around for you to download and print out if you don't want to buy one.

hondatech.info: Honda service manuals

here has the F4i as a pdf and a zip file
Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by gotcbr
I like to supplement my factory Honda shop manual w/ other sources. I have a Clymer as well. No two manuals are the same. They show dif views & often describe procedures in a dif format, which can be helpful if you're unsure from your first reading in a dif manual.
That is true. Ill have to whip out ole' google to find me one of those lol!