F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I Messed Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never ride with my information :-/ ..Maine Cops are really good about failure to show proof or registration, inspection....I keep insurance and license in wallet though.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM

I dont think it really matters how well you dress in this situation. The license/insurance mix up will get dropped. But the rest of it is going to stick. If you were still on school property you might have been able to swing the whole no eye protection but since you weren't you are pretty much SOL.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Junior2552
moral of the story is...always make sure you're fully prepared to be riding. helmet, title, whatever you need. because like i said, i was going around the block.. and i've been riding for a year now..and the ONE time i don't wear my helmet...this is what happened.
^^^ This, +1

Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by teko1020
I dont think it really matters how well you dress in this situation. The license/insurance mix up will get dropped. But the rest of it is going to stick. If you were still on school property you might have been able to swing the whole no eye protection but since you weren't you are pretty much SOL.
i was on school property technically. i was still very much on campus, and had i been stopped by CAMPUS police, they would have told me "nice bike" and moved on. but i got stopped by city police, who are out to "do their job" a little bit more than other forces around the area. however, they did jot down on the ticket that i was a U of A student, and that i worked for the school district (i'm a daycare counselor). i kind of think they did that so the judge would take it easy, because they were giving me hell.

i'm going to wear my sunday's best to court, and explain that i'm an INLA/Psych major. for some reason that always eases up sticky situations. INLA is my teaching degree, and psychology is my minor. so hopefully they don't think i'm just another college student. we'll see. i really do appreciate all the good advice guys.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:04 PM

i'm going to wear my sunday's best to court, and explain that i'm an INLA/Psych major. for some reason that always eases up sticky situations. INLA is my teaching degree, and psychology is my minor. so hopefully they don't think i'm just another college student. we'll see. i really do appreciate all the good advice guys.
Make sure to distinguish personal arguments from a legally defensive argument. (i.e. "I have a clean driving record, my parent(s) were sick, college student with 4.0 gpa, or anything like that will not hold up in court). The Judge and/or court will always side with the officer unless you have a strong case. Your in college and should do the same you do in any class, Research!

Personal Experience: I've won 3 speeding tickets, flashing red light, rolling stop, following too close and a no seat belt.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nightwing794
Make sure to distinguish personal arguments from a legally defensive argument. (i.e. "I have a clean driving record, my parent(s) were sick, college student with 4.0 gpa, or anything like that will not hold up in court). The Judge and/or court will always side with the officer unless you have a strong case. Your in college and should do the same you do in any class, Research!

Personal Experience: I've won 3 speeding tickets, flashing red light, rolling stop, following too close and a no seat belt.
I don't have much of a legal argument, i was wrong. I just took the bike because my Subaru got recalled, and I didn't have another vehicle. So hopefully I can explain why I had the bike to begin with. I will accept the responsibility for not being responsible, but hopefully he'll take it easy because I had to get to school.

How have you won all of those cases?!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:30 PM

And also try your hardest to use proper words.. "yea" is one that always a hard one for me to break. Just be honest.. And how ever you treated the cops that pulled you over will have alot to do with the outcome of this too.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nightwing794
Looks like if I ever find myself in court I know who to call.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 AM

How have you won all of those cases?!
College English, hard research, common sense and a bit of luck. The Penal Code book can be your best friend when fighting tickets. Working the difference from the written law and the spirit of the law can save your *** too.

Good Luck!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always get the citation codes and look them up in the state statutes. Check and see if there is any wording that can be interpreted in your favor. If so I present that interpretation to the judge in a humble yet this is how I understand it format. Always look your best, it doesnt matter if your guilty or not, the judge often tends to give lighter punishments to those who are polite and well dressed/mannered. Remember the judge has the ability to toss anything he wants really. Traffic court tends to simply be about making money anyways. If you know your stuck on most those charges tell the judge i'm guilty, can explain the situation? and then at the end ask for as easy as a punishment as possible. It doesnt hurt to ask.

Quick Reply: I Messed Up