F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How difficult to replace the Alternator cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult to replace the Alternator cover?

The alternator cover on my F4i has the classic scuff marks on it thanks to it's previous owner...I'd like to replace the cover to get it looking decent again. It isn't bad but still bugs me.

How difficult is it to replace? Looks like just a gasket and cover. Any liquid etc to worry about when changing this out?

Goose

Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Default RE: How difficult to replace the Alternator cover?

well you'll have the engine oil coming from the alternator., so if you gonna change the cover with your bike on the stand-then the oil will leak.,
so the best way is just to change your oil also... if you don't wanna do that., you'll have to put something underneth your alternator cover, and when you finish changing the cover just ad oil to the motor to do your level...
ok now about the cover, there's nothing difficult in changing it, just remove your old one, and when installing the new one you'll have to use some sealing(like silicone, home depot) ad apply it to the edge of the alternator if you don't want to have any leaks.
then put the cover, tight the bolts to the specific torque(look in your manual)!!!this is very important-'cause I had mine to tight and 2 of the bolts broke) and that's it.
Don't forget to ad oil if you didn't drain it.
Peace

Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Registered Users

okay that is partly correct....the oil part is correct....the sealing part is incorrect...there is a gasket you need to get for the stator cover...there isn't one for the engine cover but there is one for the stator cover....so pick that up...about $5 or something....then you use a little sealant in addition...

also note due to the magnetism in the stator, you may have to work it off a bit...sometimes a little whack with a rubber mallet lightly will jar it loose if you are having troubles....as for the rest....just get a service manual and it's easy as pie...i got a new one, had it powdercoated and then installed and tossed the old one...it's really no biggie...

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to get the stator out of the cover after you get the cover out... that was the hardest part for me bcos the bolts that hold the stator to the cover are dang tight (torque them), and I was afraid of messing something up.
The other part that confused me for a bit is that there are two hollow rods that go from two holes in the cover to holes in the frame and one of them holds up a gear wheel. That gear wheel needs to be meshed and aligned correctly otherwise the cover doesn't go in...
make sure you don't get the inside of the cover dirty/leave shards in there...
should be a 20min-half hour job... if you do it right.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 PM

yea your right about the gasket., my bad., it' just that I forgot about the gasket, since I was thinking about when I put mine back, see it already had the gasket all I did is put some silicone....
Peace

Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Is the alternator and starter cover 1 in the same?

Goose

Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM

yes it is