Alternator Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator Cover

Anyone know how to remove the alternator cover on an 08 1000? I removed all of the bolts but it still won't come off. Is it just a super tight seal or is there something else?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super tight seal.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by jalen11598
Super tight seal.
That sucks. Any suggestions on how to get it off?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Youve got to pull it straight off. The magnetic pull is keeping it there. Keep in mind to do a continuous pull or it will pull back into the engine.

You can break the seal with a pair of butter knives or other really thin metal objects slid between the stator cover and the engine case on either side.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Youve got to pull it straight off. The magnetic pull is keeping it there. Keep in mind to do a continuous pull or it will pull back into the engine.

You can break the seal with a pair of butter knives or other really thin metal objects slid between the stator cover and the engine case on either side.
Very well I will give that a whirl.

So the back story on this alternator business is I was parking the bike in the usual spot, same as always, except this time the sprinklers at the condo had been on, my foot slipped and kept slipping, causing my bike to go down and rashing the alternator cover. I have the new one now and need to put it on. The lucky thing is, the mirror folded up so I have a very tiny scratch on it, the ASV folded same as the mirror resulting in a very tiny scratch, the barend got a scuff...nothing major as did the rearset. I have no frame sliders and got no fairing damage. Basicly the only signifigant damage was the alt cover. I lucked out big time.

Either way, thanks for the help fellers.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by nafstap
Very well I will give that a whirl.

So the back story on this alternator business is I was parking the bike in the usual spot, same as always, except this time the sprinklers at the condo had been on, my foot slipped and kept slipping, causing my bike to go down and rashing the alternator cover. I have the new one now and need to put it on. The lucky thing is, the mirror folded up so I have a very tiny scratch on it, the ASV folded same as the mirror resulting in a very tiny scratch, the barend got a scuff...nothing major as did the rearset. I have no frame sliders and got no fairing damage. Basicly the only signifigant damage was the alt cover. I lucked out big time.

Either way, thanks for the help fellers.
That sucks man, I replaced mine from my spill in february... make sure to buy some honda bond and re seal the new one, but on getting it off, there are two "tabs on the cover on the top backish and bottom... just put something behind then pry. thats why those tabs are there You might want to have someone with you to hold the bike leaning to the right so as not to loose half a quart of oil. also be carfeful when unbolting the stator from the cover... the edges are sharp. I slipped off a bolt and sliced into my thumb really good. my bike is now running with a little of my blood in the oil.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by rellimdekim
That sucks man, I replaced mine from my spill in february... make sure to buy some honda bond and re seal the new one, but on getting it off, there are two "tabs on the cover on the top backish and bottom... just put something behind then pry. thats why those tabs are there You might want to have someone with you to hold the bike leaning to the right so as not to loose half a quart of oil. also be carfeful when unbolting the stator from the cover... the edges are sharp. I slipped off a bolt and sliced into my thumb really good. my bike is now running with a little of my blood in the oil.
Awsome, thanks for the heads up on the oil. I guess I will something to do this weekend.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 PM

I would recommend lightly tapping the cover to try to get it dislodged, so you don't scratch up the mating surfaces. They are aluminum on the block side and can be gouged easily

Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by camaropower
I would recommend lightly tapping the cover to try to get it dislodged, so you don't scratch up the mating surfaces. They are aluminum on the block side and can be gouged easily
Good point I just tapp on the tabs with the backside of a screwdriver to get them off normally.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM

I'm having the same problem, but the "Simple tapping" on the tabs isn't working. I tried the butter knife, I've tried the screwdriver and that bitch won't move. It isn't even giving a little bit.

Quick Reply: Alternator Cover