F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how to adjust rear shock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what the hell do those little hard/soft turn things do. No idea what you'd actually call them. Change the pressure in the shocks? Cause there's two on the triple tree, I would assume for compression, and two down by the tire, I'm assuming rebound. And then on for the back shock. I have mine set pretty soft on compression, but pretty stiff for rebound. I hate it when it feels like the bike is falling away from me on hills or the little wheelies I end up pulling when I get on it.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior2552
Jeremy, 5 or 6 should be okay. i'd say 6. mine is stiff, but it's got some give. but you're about 40 pounds more, so i'd go 6! not too stiff though, if it's not rebounding enough, you'll go down.. you won't absorb any bumps. so make sure it's soft ENOUGH for you to hit bumps, potholes etc. it'll take some testing around the block, don't hammer on it, but give it enough juice to feel it.

also, if the *** end squats really hard under heavy acceleration, go stiffer, don't fall off the back =) make sure the tires are inflated to appropriate levels as well. it's a common misconception that the stiffer your bike is the better it handles. it's not like a car, it need to absorb some of that pressure put on it in the twisties. any more questions??
I fiddled with the front end the other day and found it was set on pretty soft. That would explain the heavy nose dive under braking at the track but when I set the front on stiffer and didn't adjust the back then the bike didn't feel like it wanted to turn. I'll have to stiffen up the back too. I think I set the front to max stiff and then backed it off one full turn and a half on both the rebound and compression. I'll have to see where the shock is set at but how do you know what setting it's on? I see the numbers on the ring but where is the line indicator signifying what it's on?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zero1080
Yeah, what the hell do those little hard/soft turn things do. No idea what you'd actually call them. Change the pressure in the shocks? Cause there's two on the triple tree, I would assume for compression, and two down by the tire, I'm assuming rebound. And then on for the back shock. I have mine set pretty soft on compression, but pretty stiff for rebound. I hate it when it feels like the bike is falling away from me on hills or the little wheelies I end up pulling when I get on it.
From my understanding the top is preload (stiffness of the shock) and the bottom adjustment is dampening (rebound).

For the rear, I believe the clamp adjusted part affects the preload and the **** is dampening.

I hope I'm recalling correctly cuz my bike doesn't have all of these settings and I'm going off recollection from some reading. Plus I'm no suspension expert. Maybe someone can back up my claims if they know I'm right or correct me... :\

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM

I'm interested as well. I've had my f4i for 6 months now and havent touched any suspension settings at all.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM

How do you know which setting the rear shock is at? I don't recall seeing an arrow or anything...

Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Jeremy, Sick, and Dave, when looking at your bike from the back, walk around the left hand side and kneel by the spring. if you pull towards you on the adjustment dial, you're stiffening up the ***. if you push it away you're going softer. the stock setting is 3. there are 7 possible settings, 7 being the stiffest. if you can't see the reference point, then either soften it to 1, and count up the clicks, or tighten it, and back it down in the clicks.

if you're looking directly at the dial there will be three numbers showing. maybe 2,3, and 4. or if it's been adjusted, 4,5, and 6 for example. and they'll be in a vertical line. the number in the middle is the number it's set to.

my vote is adjust it fully to one side (soft or hard) and add or subtract from there. remember to have somebody or a few people hold the *** off the ground, and secure the front wheel!!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Junior2552
Jeremy, Sick, and Dave, when looking at your bike from the back, walk around the left hand side and kneel by the spring. if you pull towards you on the adjustment dial, you're stiffening up the ***. if you push it away you're going softer. the stock setting is 3. there are 7 possible settings, 7 being the stiffest. if you can't see the reference point, then either soften it to 1, and count up the clicks, or tighten it, and back it down in the clicks.

if you're looking directly at the dial there will be three numbers showing. maybe 2,3, and 4. or if it's been adjusted, 4,5, and 6 for example. and they'll be in a vertical line. the number in the middle is the number it's set to.

my vote is adjust it fully to one side (soft or hard) and add or subtract from there. remember to have somebody or a few people hold the *** off the ground, and secure the front wheel!!
Thanks man! This is what I needed to know!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zero1080
it's the rebound dampening. set it to about medium if you ride on the street alot boss.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM

haha, not a problem Jeremy, good luck fellas, i'll check the thread again later to see if you guys had any problems with my directions.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM

I ride on the street only with my bike right now, and will for a while. I'll probably notch it up to 4-5 in the back, just cause that's how I like it. And as for the front, who knows, I'll probably just set it to max hard, and then take it from there.

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: how to adjust rear shock?