F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how to adjust rear shock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to adjust rear shock?

i'm not familiar with the shock/preload adjustment on the f4i and was wondering if anyone here can help me out. im talking about the spring setting.
i have the C tool but it doesnt turn when applying the tool onto the shock and turning it. when i turn it it doesnt budge. is there anything i have to loosen before adjusting?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by cbrballer
i'm not familiar with the shock/preload adjustment on the f4i and was wondering if anyone here can help me out. im talking about the spring setting.
i have the C tool but it doesnt turn when applying the tool onto the shock and turning it. when i turn it it doesnt budge. is there anything i have to loosen before adjusting?
No, there is nothing to loose before making the adjustment, however it only goes one way (can't remember which)

Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 AM

I adjusted mine recently. I went from pos 3 to pos 6. Turn the spanner counterclockwise, as seen from behind the bike, to increase preload. You have to give it a good tug to make it turn and click into the next notch.

Last edited by mikeswe; 09-25-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 PM

Do you have to have some kind of tool to adjust it? I've been trying to turn it by hand and been unsuccessful.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 AM

the reason you can't turn it is because there is still a load on the rear wheel, either you have it on the kick stand, or you have it on bike stands, which still push on your swingarm. have a friend (preferably two) lift up on the back of the bike from the rear pegs, the rear wheel/swingarm will drop down, then use you're c wrench and turn it counter clockwise, the numbers get bigger. I don't know how big you are, but unless you're massive, i wouldn't recommend cranking the spring all the way to seven or even six. i'm 6'2'', 190 lbs, and i have it on 5. good luck, let us know whats up.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM

and jeremy, you can't move it with your hand. you need this.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/h...s/DSC01338.jpg

click on that, and find one in your area, it'll help with all that hand turning you've been trying to do =)

Old 11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

It would be worth spraying **** loads of easing fluid on it too. Although mine has a different form of adjustment they do take all the rain and elements and can get stiff or seized if not moved once in a while. It may take a week off constant oiling for it to free up but persevere. One day it will budge.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What henry and junior said. I used to have the same adjustment on a rear shock on my old atv and these suckers sometimes take some prep and a good bit of tugging on...

Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Junior2552
the reason you can't turn it is because there is still a load on the rear wheel, either you have it on the kick stand, or you have it on bike stands, which still push on your swingarm. have a friend (preferably two) lift up on the back of the bike from the rear pegs, the rear wheel/swingarm will drop down, then use you're c wrench and turn it counter clockwise, the numbers get bigger. I don't know how big you are, but unless you're massive, i wouldn't recommend cranking the spring all the way to seven or even six. i'm 6'2'', 190 lbs, and i have it on 5. good luck, let us know whats up.
What would you suggest I put it on? I'm 6'2 215 lbs. And thanks for the info on the clamp!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:16 PM

Jeremy, 5 or 6 should be okay. i'd say 6. mine is stiff, but it's got some give. but you're about 40 pounds more, so i'd go 6! not too stiff though, if it's not rebounding enough, you'll go down.. you won't absorb any bumps. so make sure it's soft ENOUGH for you to hit bumps, potholes etc. it'll take some testing around the block, don't hammer on it, but give it enough juice to feel it.

also, if the *** end squats really hard under heavy acceleration, go stiffer, don't fall off the back =) make sure the tires are inflated to appropriate levels as well. it's a common misconception that the stiffer your bike is the better it handles. it's not like a car, it need to absorb some of that pressure put on it in the twisties. any more questions??

Quick Reply: how to adjust rear shock?