F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hot start question

Old 03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot start question

My bike has done this ever since I bought it..when its cold it cranks right up...when its at operating temp and I go to restart it...it turns over and keeps hitting like its going to start but wont ever catch until I open the throttle a bit, then it cranks and stays running.I have no other problems with it. Does anyone else's bike do this? What do you think I should do? change the plugs?Maybe its flooding for some reason and when I crack the throttle it gives it more air for the fuel/air mix for it to fire...........I dont know

Old 03-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Default RE: Hot start question

its fuel injection so you dont need to crank the throttle during start up. if you do that often you willl eventually flood the cylinder.
its possible that i can be the plugs, but i suspect it might be the battery. batteries usually work much better when its cool outside (not below zero) and they have more of an electron scattering when its warm or hot outside.
just a theory but how old is that batt?

Old 03-25-2007, 03:14 PM

I don't know how old the battery is. I was told that to tell if your battery is starting to get low the FI light will dim when cranking. I would think if its cranking the motor over it should catch either way...so what your saying is maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice to spin the motor fast enough for it to catch? that makes a little sense, and it's definetly easier to change my battery than plugs I'll give it a shot.

I just got the 4k mile service done yesterday at the dealership ...told them about the problem....they said nothing was wrong.......but they didnt top off my brake fluid, lube my chain, inspect the plugs like they said, or happen to tell me about my small oil leak that I know I have.....I will not be taking it back to that dealership again, only reason I took it there for the oil change was because thats the first service done on the bike since I bought it and I wanted them to check everything out for me, needless to say I was very dissapointed in spending $124.02 for a $30 oil change....the manager is supposed to call me tommorrow...I complained

Old 03-31-2007, 07:36 PM

hmmm...still baffled dealer checked my plugs, told me my battery was good but when tested it was borderline...I went ahead and spent the $115 for a new battery.....does not change anything...only when the bike is hot it turns over hitting but not starting until i crack the throttle a little bit then she fires right up, oh yea i also lowered my idle, any other suggestions? oh yea took my bike back for them to fix the 4k mile service I told you about, everything is done now and they fixed my oil leak from the clutch cover for free....oddly enough I have scratches on my front rim now that I didn't notice when I washed my bike last week bastards

Old 03-31-2007, 08:53 PM

dang. bikes are problematic, this is true. you know I am starting to think it might be the lack of tension on the throttle cable or that the throttle body might not be opening wide enough durning start up by its self. I would adjust the throttle cable first.
when you changed your idle speed, make sure you are over 1500 rpms. 1500 is when your alternator will start charging the battery.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:11 PM

I'm new to the whole sport bike thing, I grew up on dirtbikes,,however, check all your electrical connector's make sure ones not coming off and losing contact,, I had that same problem with my YZ 250,, it was the coil

Old 03-31-2007, 09:57 PM

All of my connections are tight, Im gonna try to adjust the tension on the throttle cable I guess..I think it's supposed to have 1/4 inch play, thats exactly what it has because I checked it last week but maybe I can snug it up a tad more and try it. I'll do it after my ride tommorrow so it's nice and warm.