F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hot Bodies undertail

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Bodies undertail

What's up people? Hope you're having a wonderful Thursday morning. It's payday, that's something to look forward to!

So my Hot bodies undertail is due in this afternoon, and I think I will be mounting it tomorrow, (along with my new White Bros exhaust for my KFX400 ). Anyway, I was just wondering what sort of problems I may run into during the install. I know that nothing ever goes as easily as planned(such as the harmonic balancer I am trying to replace in my Pathfinder, friggin nightmare).

So any or all of you with a 2002 F4i and a Hot Bodies undertail(Superbike 2, what am I getting myself into?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Default RE: Hot Bodies undertail

I have an 02 with the hot bodies as well, It installed pretty easy with no problems. You should be fine. The only thing that sucks about the hot bodies, that my friends have told me from riding behind me is that in the day time it very hard to see the break lights and even harder to see the blinker but at night its fine. good luck

Old 11-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Hey thanks a lot man, appreciate the vod of confidence. Ya I have heard the same thing about the visabilty, but as long as they're somewhat visable I guess. i wonder how difficult it'd be to swap them out for brighter LEDS....I might end up getting in over my head...lol. The only real concern i have, is my drivers test (ya, I know, I'm 25 and don't have my Cycle license yet, laugh all you want). I hope they accept the taillight as adaquate, I mean I always use handsignals!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM

I give you credit for taking the road test on a sportbike. Im not sure where your from but here in NYC The undertail cannot technically pass inspection you need the stalk blinkers. I would check the requirements in you state before you do any kind of modifications. Nothing would suck more than showing up for the road test and they tell you you cant take it because you bike isnt all legal. good luck

Old 11-02-2006, 01:40 PM

Ya, I guess I'll check into it, and If I can't I'll borrow my budies R1 or something. I suppose I could always find someone to let me use their cruiser, but I feel more comfortable on the Sports for some reaon.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:52 PM

But do you feel more comfortable doing slow, tight maneuvers on a sport bike?

Regarding the Hotbodies undertail. I have a few suggestions:

1. You might want to think about separating your brake and running lights. The differential between the two is hardly noticeable.

2. You are going to need a dremal to chop off your undertail.

3. When you mount the brackets for your license plate, make sure the that plate angles upward, not downward.

4. To be street legal, you will need a license plate light. There are a few options. Do a search in this forum to find links.

5. You might want to think about a rear tire hugger. I don't have a lot of chips in my undertail, but they are adding up.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:49 PM

Hey thank's a lot man. I had thought about the tire-hugger, and I do have a dremel to take off the old fender.

What about the lock for the "trunk"? Is the truck even functional after the install? I suppose I should have thought of this before I bout it, but oh well.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by seperating the lights, You mean get a whole seperate set of running lights?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 PM

The lock will move to the undertail and retain its functionality.

Just like your stock brake light, it serves as a running light too. When you use the brake, the intensity of the brake light increases. With the LED brake lights, the increase in intensity was hardly noticeable. What I ended up doing was separate my brake light and running light. The undertail serves as my brake light and I bought amber lights that mounted on down the each side of my license plate that act as my running light. I wanted people to see when I'm braking.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:49 AM

Awesome, thank's for the tip, that makes a lot of sense. i'll do the same for sure. I have plenty of time to work on it, Being from Maine I won't be riding again untill April!