F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HID's? Wiring mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's? Wiring mod?

Hey everyone! just bought a 01 F4i and i want to upgrade the headlights to HID. Ive got a couple of questions concerning this:

1) Best/Cheapest place to get a kit from? looking for a blue tint but also good visability.

2) is there anyone that has wired their headlights to have BOTH headlights on when in low beam AND high beam? DIdnt know if it was possible?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys. This is my first bike and i cant wait to make it my own.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM

Cheapest place. Directly from Starrotors.com. Very reputable company. I ordered mine 9 months ago and still work great. Very fast shipping. $99 shipped. 2 bulbs, 2 slim ballasts w/ built in igniters. You'll want 8K if you want the bluish tint but still have great visibility.

Dont quite see the point in having both headlights on w/ low beams on, why not just run w/ high beams on? Wouldn't be polite for other drivers at night to have constant high beams.
Here are a couple of pics of my 8k HID's

Blurry
Name:  HPIM0310.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  44.3 KB
Name:  HPIM0267.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  41.0 KB

Old 07-13-2009, 05:29 PM

I'd recommend DDMTuning.

They are cheaper than the site posted above, come with a lifetime warranty, and came really quickly (from California to Florida in no time).

Cost (when I bought 'em, they were on sale) for 65 + shipping, I think regular price is 70ish + shipping, and 15 more if you want 50w.

35w, 6000k, and they will be in both high and low beams on my bike once I figure out my wiring problem for the high beam.

Just make sure you upgrade the fuse for the high beam or, from what I've heard, the stock one will blow.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Granted I'm not a F4i guy, but I did the mod 5 years ago (used Beamer HIDs) and it's a great mod. Easily 50% better vision at night in really dark places.

As far as hi and low, I adjusted the hi beam side down so at GAs prescribed low beam law I meet the requirements. And still have better vision at night than with a standard bulb at the OEM hi beam setting. Read: I run hi and low all the time.

There is a lag if you chose to run hi separate from low so be aware that when you first hit the switch you can expect a delay of up to 30 secs until the bulb hits full power. And in the traditional hi position you'll mostly just see the tops of trees anyway. But that's just my experience on a lowly 1kRR.

On a Busa, I only ran the low beam with an HID bulb ... it put out enough light that I never even ran the halogen hi beam. But that was a damned suzy-que so we won't mention it again

Old 07-13-2009, 06:59 PM
July 2008 ROTM

The F4i's halogens aren't really set up for dual-filament use (aka both low & high beams in each reflector). It's best to just leave it stock, and replace the bulbs with HIDs.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Granted I'm not a F4i guy, but I did the mod 5 years ago (used Beamer HIDs) and it's a great mod. Easily 50% better vision at night in really dark places.

As far as hi and low, I adjusted the hi beam side down so at GAs prescribed low beam law I meet the requirements. And still have better vision at night than with a standard bulb at the OEM hi beam setting. Read: I run hi and low all the time.

There is a lag if you chose to run hi separate from low so be aware that when you first hit the switch you can expect a delay of up to 30 secs until the bulb hits full power. And in the traditional hi position you'll mostly just see the tops of trees anyway. But that's just my experience on a lowly 1kRR.

On a Busa, I only ran the low beam with an HID bulb ... it put out enough light that I never even ran the halogen hi beam. But that was a damned suzy-que so we won't mention it again
How do you adjust your high beam down? I've noticed with mine all I see is the tops of trees like you said.
And I also recommend DDM Tuning, good price, comes with warranty and shipped quickly.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Turn the vertical aiming screw, duh.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's pretty much how I did it If you do a search you can find the specs that your state has on what height the lights can be aimed. Then just mark it on the garage door and turn the adjuster til they're in spec.

Originally Posted by Aken
Turn the vertical aiming screw, duh.