F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HID Slim Ballasts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID Slim Ballasts

30 bucks a piece. Thats 60 all together and the whole setup is just 70. Thats not even right. And where can you purchase the bulbs anyways, from the same guy?

Old 12-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Yes, the setup is 70 and you may probably only burn out one bulb. Not both of them at the same time. You don't have to get the bulbs from the same seller, there are other sellers who sell the bulbs online also. These bulbs have a long life on them and you probably won't need one for the life of your bike. I think its like 20,000 hours. Don't quote me, cuz I could be wrong.

Most of the real money made is in replacement parts. Someone is out to make a buck, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my kit in. I got it from the same guy Nate did. I didn't feel comfortable installing it myself...or at least cleanly, so I started talking to a local powersports representative. He told me he doesn't recommend installing them due to ballast failure due to motorcycle vibration.....I don't get it lol. How much more rough of a ride is it for the ballast being mounted in the engine bay of a car than the upper fairing of a motorcycle. I dunno what to do with this information b/c if he just wanted my money, he wouldn't of told me...dunno wat to think. I always take long 2 hour rides up the thruway.so if my hid's went out...I'd be screwed

Old 12-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Ok, is this guy an expert on HID ballasts? He is a mechanic correct? If they ballasts went out due to vibration, I think the company would be bankrupt from replacing everyones ballasts, since they have a one year warranty. No matter where you mount them, there will be some vibration, it isn't a cadillac. The ballasts are made of solid metal construction so they are built to last. I haven't riddenmy bike much because of the weather, so if they go out to vibration, I can't say just yet, but I don't think you need to pay anyone to install them, you can do this yourself. All you need is the 5mm allen wrench, a set of crimpers, butt connectors and you can do it yourself.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 PM

if anything i would think something would come unplugged due to vibration not the ballast giving out.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol thats the thing....wats a butt connedctor? i'm not techy unless i have really really good direction.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 AM

A butt connector is a piece of plastic with metal in it, used to connect two wires together. You can get them at walmart in the automotive section.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

sorry for the laziness of not researching rigorously, but how exactly does the dual-lighting work with the high beams. im assuming that if one bulb is fed power for high beams then only that one side goes high? can i run that wire and feed both light bibs? i dont ride at night much but ive always wanted the dual-headlight look. this is 2nd on my list after a louder exhaust.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:20 PM

The lights are set up so the high beam is set up at a higher angle and the switch turns it on and off. I would say you should just set them up individually and flip the switch to have them both on. If you really want to do a dual light set up, someone posted on this awhile ago. Use the "search" feature at the top of the page.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 PM

woot!!!

too bad one ballast was bad! Should get a new one by the end of next week though..besides that all is well! Im getting a set for my car PRONTO!!

Quick Reply: HID Slim Ballasts