F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HID Low-Beam keeps going out

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Low-Beam keeps going out

Has anybody experienced this? I installed HIDs as both low and hi beam from Outdoor Lighting on ebay. It's been working beautifully except for the past 2 weeks, if I go over a rough bump or something it causes my lo-beam to go out. Then some time later it may come back on. It's really annoying! My hi-beam seems 100% reliable. I can't figure it out.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Default RE: HID Low-Beam keeps going out

dumb ? but are the connections tight? id double check all wire connections incl in bulb housing etc, i know the HID connectors on my car were a bit of a pain to connect, but "snapped" once in

good luck

Old 01-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

Loose wire probably. Switch bulbs and see if the low beam still cuts out to check the bulb. Then switch ignitors and whatnot until you figureout what is looseor find the bad part. It may be even easier since you have two similar systems near each other and a voltmeter comparison may be the easiest way. let us know.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM

I did the ebay hid conversion as well and experience this problem often. Sometimes just turning the key to the "on" position the light will not come up, after jiggling the wires a bit and restarting it, it'll be fine. The thing is, my wires are already as tight as possible, so i dont know how to make it any more efficient.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the HID's come with their own wiring harnesses with a relay and all that good stuff?? If they did not, did you make your own harnesses with a relay for each ballast? Cuz if you just wired the ballasts directly to the stock headlight wiring, it's drawing too much current for the small wires. You have to use a relay with the heavy gauge wiring, and just use the stock headlight wires to activate the relays. The ballasts have an internal low voltage cut off, so if the wires start to get hot and you get a greater voltage drop through the wire, the ballast can shut itself off, causing the results you see.

But, it could also be just a crappy HID kit too. My first one I had was an hidynamics kit from ebay. I had this problem from day one, and even after making my own wiring harnesses, they would still cut out randomly. Same thing with mine, if I'd accelerate hard or go over a good bump, out it went. At first it was always the high beam, then that one started staying on and the low beam kept going out. Then both started going out, and I was so sick of them by then I ripped them out and got a new pair. Spent a little more $$ and got 2 of the XenonDepot motorcycle kits with the Philips bulbs. They came with their own wiring harnesses and relays, which made for a VERY clean install, and have worked flawlessly since I put them in earlier in 2007. I tell everybody I run into looking for HID's, not to get the cheap ebay ones, cuz with HID's you really do get what you pay for

Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 AM

hid's(35w regular) do not draw more current then simple headlights. even less than halogens. only on startup they draw about 100w for less than a second