F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help an idiot out...oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix
Is there a reason why everyone is tightening their oil filter with the jaws of life and making it a pain for themselves when it comes time to remove it???

If you don't have a torque wrench...which is evidently obvious, just tighten it until it fits snug...and by snug meaning it doesn't take a lot of force to remove it immediately after.
Yeah, there's a reason...so it won't leak or come off & blow oil everywhere. Last summer at Willow Springs during a trackday, some idiot didn't tighten his oil filter enough & he leaked oil (completely bled out) from turn 6 thru 9...right down the center of the track! This caused a loss of at least one session...& the next two sessions were a waist b/c of all the crap on the track they put out there to absorb the oil. Tempers flare when its over 100 degrees (air temp) at the track, you've paid alot of money to be there, & some idiot screws you out of your track time b/c he hasn't shown any attention to detail in properly preparing his bike.

FYI, once the guy realized he was leaking oil, he should have gotten off the race line, then gotten off the track surface onto the dirt.

I use an oil filter wrench...
Name:  P1030300.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  45.7 KB

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Yeah, there's a reason...so it won't leak or come off & blow oil everywhere. Last summer at Willow Springs during a trackday, some idiot didn't tighten his oil filter enough & he leaked oil (completely bled out) from turn 6 thru 9...right down the center of the track! This caused a loss of at least one session...& the next two sessions were a waist b/c of all the crap on the track they put out there to absorb the oil. Tempers flare when its over 100 degrees (air temp) at the track, you've paid alot of money to be there, & some idiot screws you out of your track time b/c he hasn't shown any attention to detail in properly preparing his bike.

FYI, once the guy realized he was leaking oil, he should have gotten off the race line, then gotten off the track surface onto the dirt.

I use an oil filter wrench...
filter wrenches work great as long as you (and this seems to be the key here) dont "over tighten" them... after sitting on the engine a few months it will seat itself very well making it very hard to get off or alot of the time the wrench will slip when you try to remove a filter with crap on it.... thats where my screw driver technique comes in handy

Old 03-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zmds18
filter wrenches work great as long as you (and this seems to be the key here) dont "over tighten" them... after sitting on the engine a few months it will seat itself very well making it very hard to get off or alot of the time the wrench will slip when you try to remove a filter with crap on it.... thats where my screw driver technique comes in handy
Nah, don't "over tighten", just tighten. ;-)

I'm a daily rider/commuter & wknd twisty rider...so, I rarely go that long b/f oil changes. ;-)

I tend to wipe off my filter as part of regular bike detailing...so it pretty much stays clean all the time. As a matter of process when changing my oil filter, I clean off the filter & try to loosen it by hand using a piece of tool tray liner as a gripper. If I need to use the wrench, I'll put that piece of tool tray liner on top of the filter, then put the wrench on top of that...works like a charm every single time.

I've used the screw driver technique only on cars a time or two. No doubt, it works as well. I've just never had to do that on any bike.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Nah, don't "over tighten", just tighten. ;-)

I'm a daily rider/commuter & wknd twisty rider...so, I rarely go that long b/f oil changes. ;-)

I tend to wipe off my filter as part of regular bike detailing...so it pretty much stays clean all the time. As a matter of process when changing my oil filter, I clean off the filter & try to loosen it by hand using a piece of tool tray liner as a gripper. If I need to use the wrench, I'll put that piece of tool tray liner on top of the filter, then put the wrench on top of that...works like a charm every single time.

I've used the screw driver technique only on cars a time or two. No doubt, it works as well. I've just never had to do that on any bike.
That's the problem tho. People do overtighten the damn things. I did have to go get the Jaws of Life, or the automotive equivalent:

Those things crushed the old filter which some idiot musta used an air gun to put on. And when I went to put the new filter on, I used the regular oil filter cap + torque wrench