Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

okay so i am an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default okay so i am an idiot

so ive been having some issues with the ol' rr. the thing leaked oil like a siv. ha ha well on monday night as im driving along the friggin thing loses power and dies on me. im freaking out thought i blew the engine cause the oil lite was on. well after cussing and such i called my father in law and we towed it home. last night i went over. we jb welded the crack in the bottom of the case (for now) any way to do this we had to lay the bike down on its side to get to the crack. i asked him about all the gas that i had put in to it on friday. and he decided that we ought to siphon the thing out. well i open the tank and guess what?.......by now you probably already know and are laughing so hard that your morning coffee is spewing out of your nose. there was no gas in the fricken thing so here i am thinking i blew the engine and i just ran out of gas. but anyway at least i got the leak taken care of. guess everything happens for a reason. feel free to slap me on the way out

Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

okay so i am an idiot.............
Yup !

Just as well you weren't in your famous fighter jet, up there in Maine.....

Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Blessing in disguise.
You where riding the bike with the oil light on. I don't know how to put this kindly. If it hadn't run out of gas you would have blown up your engine. I'm guessing no need to ever change your oil filter either after running it low since you just have to keep adding oil?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehe... live and learn, man..

It sounds to me like the bike ran out of fuel and THEN the oil light came on, tho. (as it should)

Anyway, I'm wondering where all the gas went. Did you just not put as much in as you thought? Not realize how far you went?

On the case crack, how bad is it? How much oil are you adding? You gotta get that fixed, man... it'll prolly only get worse. I wonder how much a shop would charge you to just TIG it up?

Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Here's your sign!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

bonehead move but dont feel all to bad it happens to the bestuvus. bout two weeks ago on my way home from work i learned the hardway that i had forgotten to change the fuel valve back to on from reserve at the last fuel up. cought shyt from my wife for a few days cuz she had to bring me some go juice. i promise it will never happen again, lol...

Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had to push my bike 2 blocks to a gas station in full gear in 90 degree heat. Damn gauges need a indicator that the Petcock is turned to Reserve

Old 03-14-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by CBRrider01
Blessing in disguise.
You where riding the bike with the oil light on. I don't know how to put this kindly. If it hadn't run out of gas you would have blown up your engine. I'm guessing no need to ever change your oil filter either after running it low since you just have to keep adding oil?

i didnt run it with the oil light on. what happened was the oil light came on after the bike shut off. wich i remember now that when the key is in the on position but the bike isnt running the light is on. but thanks anyway, ha ha ha. to you.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Hehe... live and learn, man..

It sounds to me like the bike ran out of fuel and THEN the oil light came on, tho. (as it should)

Anyway, I'm wondering where all the gas went. Did you just not put as much in as you thought? Not realize how far you went?

On the case crack, how bad is it? How much oil are you adding? You gotta get that fixed, man... it'll prolly only get worse. I wonder how much a shop would charge you to just TIG it up?
i thought it would be better on gas than it was. ha ha ha. i went all over gods creation though. ha ha i just didnt realize how far i went. as for the crack we just j b welded it for now. but i have a buddy who will weld it for me. im just going to try to get through the summer with it for now.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fearless4x4
bonehead move but dont feel all to bad it happens to the bestuvus. bout two weeks ago on my way home from work i learned the hardway that i had forgotten to change the fuel valve back to on from reserve at the last fuel up. cought shyt from my wife for a few days cuz she had to bring me some go juice. i promise it will never happen again, lol...
ha ha never thought to try and move it to reserve. ha ha and i dont have a gauge either. guess i just have to check it. i just hope i dont lose my calculator watch in the gas tank while checking the level. ha ha.

Quick Reply: okay so i am an idiot