F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Have a few problems, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a few problems, need some help

Ok guys, I've got a 02' F4i. First off, it's leaking oil from somewhere on the top of the motor, backside I'm guessing. I was thinking cam chain tensioner. But does that have a gasket and is it prone to leaking? Number two, it runs rich at startup and feels like its lacking power on the bottom end. I was thinking its loading up on fuel because it doesn't really seem to have very much torque until about 2800rpm. And finally, after I crank the bike and ride it for about 10 min, my FI light comes on. It doesn't blink, it doesn't go off, it just stays on. The bike has about 42,000 miles on it. Any suggestions would be very helpful. It's got a scorpion slip on but no power commander.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Voodoo27,

First off, perhaps we can get a little history of the bike. How long have you had it? Is the proper maint/service up to date? Did you do it or ever done it? Aware of when it was done? This will help in where we can start looking. Otherwise we have a few other things we can check.

Yes, there is a gasket for the CCT. As far as it being prone to leaking well Ill be honest I have never saw that in conjunction with all of the threads I have read about it. And trust, there is a TON of threads about it because its a very common problem. However, that doesnt mean its not it. Does the CCT sound fine? IN other words, do you hear it? It being a paper gasket those are usually pretty good, although in 42k who really knows. Hard to think it wasnt ever serviced being as its so common but maybe not and maybe it is original and maybe it needs changing. Read below for trying to locate leakage.

What you need to do is put some cardboard underneath and look for the specific drip, then trace that back up if you cannot visibily see a leak from somewhere, this will help start you off. As far as that goes though it could be a number of things. Stator cover, oil pan, head, etc. Obviously if its on the right that would eliminate the Stator so do some process of elimination.

As far as the rich thing, The air/fuel mixture is controlled by the ECM on our bikes. Im going to think it may be there and I say that because of your steady FI light. IF the bike fires and the light stays on then that is indicating a faulty ECM. An open or short in MIL wire (<---probably not) or a short circuit somewhere. Service connector wire or service connector.

A really simple way to check this is if you can get your hands on another ECM, perhaps from a buddy somewhere? Also, if anyone of your friends has the ECM test harness. Plug it in and if your problem solved then you know its that!

While you are at it, lets clear the MIL database and see if you can get the same light situation.

To reset the MIL:
1. Turn ignition off and engine stop switch to run.
2. Short the service connector.
3. Turn ignition on.
4. Remove jumper wire from the service connector.
5. The MIL lights for five seconds. While the light is on short the connector again. If you successfully erase the memory the MIL will turn off and then start blinking.

Is there a blink of the light just before you turn it off? Try to do this before it turns on again (when you said after 10 minutes.) This would indicate faulty MAP sensor.

While your under the seat and tank area go ahead and pull the vacum hose off of the fuel pressure regulator, (this is going to be the smaller hose coming off the left of the FPR) if you see fuel coming out then its bad and your pressure is not going to be correct, needs replacing, otherwise thats fine. That regulator apart from regulating pressure, also sends excess fuel back to the tank to be reused again. If that is not doing that properly then you may get a flooded condition.

While your at it, Take a long metal screwdriver and place it on each injector and put your ear to the handle (works like a stethoscope) and listen for operation of the injectors, correctly. You should be able to hear it. If something is a miss there then break out the multimeter and test the connections to ensure proper voltage of said injectors. Obviously we are trying to see if one is stuck open/closed, etc. Although I would say open would be more obvious.

To me the too much fuel makes sense because the more throttle you use, the higher the demand for fuel so if its flooded, then its only going to go away when you start requesting more fuel and at that point you may be catching up with what the pump is delivering. I strongly suggest not to check the fuel pump (out of curiosity or anything) so long as you hear it priming, (at least not right away) in which it is if you are able to fire the bike. The reason I say it is you are going to have to replace the gasket for the pump housing and its a bitch to get it to seal correctly sometimes. Be cautious and outrule other things before you think about that. Im speculating that its not the pump.

If I think of something else I will edit that in. Ill see if I can dig some more info up for you.

-Poss

Last edited by PossibleOne; 02-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.