F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

H7 bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H7 bulbs

First off I'd like to state that I am a total newb to motorcycles.... but my questions are- In the F4I, one light is specifically for the low beam and the other is the high beam correct? So when I would have the low beams on only one light would illuminate... and when the high beams are on would both illuminate? All this being said... when shopping for H7 bulbs, are there such things as motorcycle specific bulbs- one bulb having 1 filament for the low beam, and one bulb having 1 filament for the high beam? I'm familiar with car lights and normally there are a pair of filaments in each light which operate in unison... All this being said- if regular "car" H7 bulbs are used in the F4I, would the normal light housing hardwarebe able to handle a high wattage bulb... say 100W vs. the normal 55W... or would that require an aftermarket light housing? Thanks guys!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: H7 bulbs

the bulbs in for each are the same....the one side is 'high' because of the reflector housing....that is why you can't easily switch to a dual filament bulb to run both lights at the same time at low....

as for bulb switching, you might want to consider HIDs....they have kits on ebay that a lot of people use on here for less $100 with ballasts to give you a nice HID look and improve the lamps....now you'll still have one low and one high, but they look very very nice....

Old 09-25-2008, 11:08 AM

I agree on the HIDS, yes they are both the same lights and the only difference is the reflectors.
Do you have the bike yet?

Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 AM

I'm picking up the bike on saturday. So are you saying that in fact, yes- the F4I uses a pair of single filament H7 bulbs specifically designed for motorcycles instead of dual filament "car" H7 bulbs?

Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM

After more searching it appears that H7 bulbs are single filament to start with.... I guess my question remains though about whether the stock headlight housing hardware can handle an illegal high wattage 100W bulb vs. the standard 55W bulb??? Thanks again guys

Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Vidra

I'm picking up the bike on saturday. So are you saying that in fact, yes- the F4I uses a pair of single filament H7 bulbs specifically designed for motorcycles instead of dual filament "car" H7 bulbs?
There is no such thing as a car/ motorcycle H7 bulb... All H7 bulbs are single filament bulbs.

I second the HID option, as I have HIDs in all three of mycages and all three of my motorcycles. If you switch between your high and low beam a lot, you may want to keep the halogen in there because the HIDs take up to five seconds to warm up and produce useable light, and if you're constantly switching between high and low, it'll never get bright enough to allow you to see further. If, however, you live in a rural area and keep your high beam on for extended periods of time (ie- low traffic), then you might enjoy the HID high beam. Either way, get an HID car kit on Ebay and get two ballasts and bulbs... they're under $70 shipped, and are as good a quality as the higher end stuff. And... since Silverstars are almost $60 for a pair, there's no excuse not to go HID. You won't regret it.

One last point-since they're so much brighter, you'll be more visible during the day as well. I noticed people being more aware of my presence when I went HID.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Vidra

After more searching it appears that H7 bulbs are single filament to start with.... I guess my question remains though about whether the stock headlight housing hardware can handle an illegal high wattage 100W bulb vs. the standard 55W bulb??? Thanks again guys
You beat me to it... Yep, single filaments. Regarding the higher wattage, if you're looking for more light, go HID. You'll get WAY more lumens out of it at a much more visible color temperature than you would a 100W bulb, and you'll do it putting about 1/3 of the load on your electrical system- HIDs pull 35W per ballast after initial arcing.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 AM
July 2008 ROTM

There are many many different bulb types. You've mentioned only two of them in this thread =) Those being the H7 and the dual-filament style, the most popular of which is the H4, which is actually less popular in newer cars that have separate low and high beam bulbs.

And yes, there is no such things as a motorcycle-specific headlight bulb. The only time you'll see that is if you buy a sealed-beam headlight, which you have no reason to look into.