F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Got my first bike and have couple noob questions for you

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my first bike and have couple noob questions for you

So she finally arrived yesterday - yellow 2006 F4i, and she was virgin with 000000 odo, I can't be more happy[8D] This was probably the last new yellow F4i in our province, because I called all dealerships in 500km area and nobody else has it, so I was in hurry to buy her even without a drivers license to not let her gone.

I have MSF scheduled in a month, but I couldn't resists to try her out yesterday , so I bought a helmet and went for a ride around neighborhood at 30kmh (20mph). The most unexpected for me was accelerator sensitivity. It's pretty hard to keep constant revs at 1-2 gears, she either accelerates or brakes. But I guess it just requires some practice, and car does pretty much the same at 1st gear.

Here is a few questions though:
1. When I switch from N to 1 gear it jumps a bit, even with a clutch fully disengaged. Is it normal? If it is, may I hold her with breaks or it would be better for her if I just let her jump a bit?
2. If rolling at 20kmh (15mph) at 2 gear and switching to 1 gear with clutch fully disengaged, I can hear a very quiet friction noice from the gearbox. I am suppose it is also ok, because 1st gear in car does similar noise.
3. I got cool kryptonite lock for 10PS, and as I understand it is supposed to go into the hole in the rear brake rotor, but it doesn't fit there, so I just put it around front rotor. Does it do any help or it is useless on the front wheel because handlebars are already locked by ignition key and you are supposed to lock the rear wheel?
4. Because I was riding at a low speeds the coolant temperature went pretty high to105C (222F) in about 15 minutes of riding, it is where fan kicks in. I didn't want to continue to not upset her at our first date , so it was the end of my yesterday's ride. Is it ok to ride with such temperature, especially during the break in period, or better don't let it go that high?

Thanks.

Can't wait to get back from the work [:@]

Old 05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Default RE: Got my first bike and have couple noob questions for you

1. perfectly normal - keep the brakes on
2. sounds like you're just describing engine wind - normal
3. picture?
4. normal idling temps are gonna be between 220-230, fand should kick in right around 225, any higher you may want to shut it off and let it cool (then get it checked out)

Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats daffy! MSF is wayyyy important so make sure you play it safe for this month.

yes the bike has a touchy throttle. you'll get used to it in time...a power commander also helps to smooth it out.

now your answers:

1. there may be a 'klunk' but it shouldn't lurch or anything. just a nice loud 'klunk' sometimes.

2. you shouldn't throw it into first with the bike still rolling so fast. best to wait until you're in the single digits to get it in gear. sometimes it'll 'clank'. friction noise or like a winding sound?

3. it usually on the front rotor. make sure to remove it everytime. most use it in conjunction with the steering lock.

4. your temp is fine. fan kick on at 222 and brings temps back down. don't sweat it until you see very high temps, like 235 plus and the fan doesn't bring it back down.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks.

Actually there is a little "lurch" I think (sorry I am not sure what you mean by that). I feel a slight push forward when it is switched from N to 1st, it is not just sound.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:58 PM

the tiny lurch is normal

Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

The throttle is very touchy in low gears, kinda like an off/on switch. I like to be in at least 2nd gear in my turns, it tends to be a little smoother for me than first.

Be very careful with that thing. Enjoy the MSF.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC
yes the bike has a touchy throttle. you'll get used to it in time...a power commander also helps to smooth it out.

now your answers:

1. there may be a 'klunk' but it shouldn't lurch or anything. just a nice loud 'klunk' sometimes.

4. your temp is fine. fan kick on at 222 and brings temps back down. don't sweat it until you see very high temps, like 235 plus and the fan doesn't bring it back down.
A touchy throttle? Just weigh 230lbs like me and it won't be so touchy... lol

I don't know if it would really jump forward when throwing it into first gear. I know that if I have my bike ('06 F4i as well) up on my stands as soon as I put it in first gear the rear wheel starts to spin just a little bit but it stops, it's nothing that would move me forward or I would need to use the brakes for.

Tahoe how can you say don't sweat it?!?!? Have you ever had a 230degree thing under your butt? lol Trust me on this one... sweat it... and sweat it A LOT! haha

*edit* Yes 2nd gear is a lot easier to do slow turns and stuff with because the bike won't jerk as much with small movements of the throttle. I very rarely ride in first gear unless I'm completely stopped or 1-3mph at a stop light or in a parking lot. =)