F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

getting past neutral

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting past neutral

I've a 2001 CBR FS

Now I know that to go from first to second and vice versa you have to go past neutral and that this can be a bit clunky

However, I often have the problem where as I change from 1st to 2nd it only goes as far as neutral, and then I have to shift again to get it where I want it. Not too much of a problem approaching lights/stopping, but when accelerating away its a real pain as while I faff with my gears I'm afraid I'm gonna get another motorist run up my b'hind. Its not every time but enough to annoy. Is there any adjustment I can make to help or am I stuck with it?

Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Default RE: getting past neutral

The F4i has a bad transmission, it just takes alot of dedication from your left boot to shift. Mine would do the same thing if I got lazy with the shift.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:27 PM

i have this same problem if i dont rellay jam on i and just kinda half *** shift i go to neutral too u just have to make sure u press hard enough

Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, check to make sure your clutch cable is properly adjusted.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:02 PM

Yeah, that clutch cable makes alot of sense to me. I remember when I first got my bike I had to pay attention to getting it into 2nd...but now, either I'm used to it or it's more broken in, but it goes into 2nd like butter. I'm about 500 miles out of my 600 mile service.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 AM

I have noticed this too. But for me I find that I have trouble shifting smoothly if I don't get enough RPM's going before I shift. This seems to happen in traffic and I'm kind of crusing along and shifting before I really should. When I think about it and at least get up to 4 or 5K RPMs before shifting, it almost falls into the next gear. These bikes are really designed as "Go Fast" bikes, not as "Putting Around Town" if you know what I mean

Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 AM

i have the oppositve of all you guys , i can go from first to second super easy , but i have a super hard time getting it into neutral.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:06 AM

thank god, i got my biked used and thought something was wrong...-= ) i found this to be easier a lil bit for the most part, make sure that your throttle is completely off, meaning twist the throttle all the way up, wait like 1/2 a sec, pull the clutch in and then shift, should be a lot smoother. Its ok, i've shifted into neutral and then all i hear is, vrooooom, damn, did it again, hit the clutch and shifted up again. but try the throttle thing, works for me like 80% of the time

Old 03-30-2006, 05:30 AM

they should just make all bikes automatic

J/k

Old 03-30-2006, 08:09 AM

I've had it suggested to me that adjusting altering the length of the push rod that connects it to the splined arm that comes out of the gearbox so that they are closer to 90 degrees/ lowering the shifter might help, any thoughts?

Quick Reply: getting past neutral