F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Getting parts painted

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting parts painted

Hi,

i am trying to find some good places to get parts painted for my F4i.

i was hopping that somone could point me in the right direction. for some reason its really difficult to find one local to me. ( virginia, DC metro area)

also i am trying to see what would be my best option here. i want to get my bike painted all black, like a metal flaked. and want rear sets to match and passenger sets too.
would it be best to get the fairing set online from ebay or somthing and then get the tank and sets to match or have them all painted at the same time with the current fairing set i have.

thanks for any help. much appreciated.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Welcome to the site, As for a local painter My suggestion is either a regional local motorcycle forum or just the yellow pages.

As far as painting your bike, do yourself and your painter a favor and paint your stock plastics and don't buy the ebay ones.

Most of the ebay ones even the more expensive higher quality ones dont line up right and will spiderweb the paint over long periods of riding time.

Also get it all painted at once so you never have to color match your other parts at a later time.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 PM

yea that was another thing i was worried about. i didnt know how good the paint would be on a fairing set ordered like that.
or even if it would all fit correctly.

any ideas on how much somthing like that will run if i get everything painted to match?

i would imagine its going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Hey man I read your post about getting your bike painted, and while I don't know anyone in your area, My bike when I bought it was put down on the left side and I had a local guy here in Idaho completly redo my left side and so far not one person who sees my bike believes that it has been down. His business is just out of his house for now as he has only been at it about a year now.

I know he's been doing a lot of stuff from some people back east off of a VTX forum and they all seem really happy with his work, and I guess he works out a pretty decent deal with shipping it out and all. His rates for around this area are really resonable and like I said he made my bike almost impossible to tell it went down. Hell he was even able to color match my decals and mask it off so I have half decals and half paint and not even I can tell where they transition...LOL

If you would like his name and number PM me and I'll get it to you. You never know it won't hurt to give him a call.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 PM

PM sent. thanks!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I Dunno the f4i in my signature cost me 2,200 for all the custom airbrushing

Old 03-29-2009, 06:58 AM

One thing to be careful of is that the rear sets and heel guards take allot of abuse from your boots (I hope you wear boots). Just make sure that if you get them painted all pretty to match your bike that the paint isnt going to rub off. You may want to just get them powdercoated if the painter cant guarantee that the paint will hold up.

I painted my rearsets and the paint is rubbing off pretty bad, but thats after like 10,000 miles.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by MC_spirited
One thing to be careful of is that the rear sets and heel guards take allot of abuse from your boots (I hope you wear boots). Just make sure that if you get them painted all pretty to match your bike that the paint isnt going to rub off. You may want to just get them powdercoated if the painter cant guarantee that the paint will hold up.

I painted my rearsets and the paint is rubbing off pretty bad, but thats after like 10,000 miles.
i know one thing for sure, i dont want or need to spend 2200 bucks on a paint job. im not looking for anything special. just want my bike all black. maybe even a metalic black if i can get that. i do like the airbrush on your tank though RojerLockless.
powdercoating the sets is a good idea. i definitly dont want the paint coming off. as far as the boots go.... well i cant lie and say i wear them. but i will be getting a pair soon. most of my riding as of late has been comuting to work. but that was on my old bike that i sold, and i am just now getting my baby....01 F4i. but for fun runs and poker runs and stuff like that i want to have boots. i guess i could always just take a backpack and throw my work shoes in there. just curious though. what is the big advantage of boots over regular shoes? <--- noob question : )

thanks again for all the help everyone!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM

A quality boot will keep your ankle from snapping in half in the event of a wreck. Also, a leather boot will take a impact from debris like rocks thrown from trucks, ect when a shoe may not provide protection.

The same goes for gloves. leather protects your skin, and i wont even ride a bike without gloves. It just feels bad.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 AM

yea i do agree about the gloves for sure. i dont ride with out them.

i will have to go get a pair of boots then. i can always take a backpack and put my other shoes in there if i need to.

thanks!