F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

battery type

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default battery type

Hey

my battery died today...weird cause It was running perfectly yesterday. I jump started it and its been running fine this whole day.

How do I know when to change it out? I don't have any special voltmeters or anything, all I do have is a automatic battery charger than can charge to either 6 or 12 V in intensities of 2,6,8 amps. I just received the bike so I am unsure.

I went to walmart and bought a battery in which I think is the right one...its an ES9-BS

Is this the correct battery?

Thanks for any input

Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not sure what will work, but the F4i's standard battery is a YUASA YTZ10S, if I am not mistaken. Sorry, I am not home, because I currently have mine on a tender. If no one else chimes in, then I will correct this post if I am wrong after checking when I get home.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM

I called up the service department at my local dealer and they said Yts9bs. I'm up at school so I dropped by the nearest wallmart and picked up the closest one..at least saif 9bs in it. I hope it works.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I confirmed when I got home that my battery is a YUASA YTZ10S. I don't know any cross matches, and www.bikebandit.com has the same battery as the OEM. I am sure that there is many cross matched batteries, but just stay within the OEM battery operating limits and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Last edited by supersnake83; 03-28-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember that you get what you pay for. I bought a cheap battery a couple years ago and 8 months later of steady riding it died and the company I bought it from just said sorry. After that I went to an Interstate battery warehouse and talked to the manager there, my new battery was almost 200 bucks but it came with a full 3 yr. replacement guarantee.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:43 AM

the battery I bought was around 74 bucks...is that considered cheap?

The one thing that kills my battery is that I take a lot of short trips and I don't give the battery enough time to charge.

Whats a good battery..might as well invest in a good one

Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't worry as much about the battery you bought, hell you've already got it, so just go with it. I would however highly recommend you get a battery tender. They are only around twenty bucks and worth every penny. Then when you get home from your short trips just plug it back in and it will trickle charge it for you so it's ready for the next time you head out.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ID_CBRRider
I wouldn't worry as much about the battery you bought, hell you've already got it, so just go with it. I would however highly recommend you get a battery tender. They are only around twenty bucks and worth every penny. Then when you get home from your short trips just plug it back in and it will trickle charge it for you so it's ready for the next time you head out.

Hey thanks for the reply

I have a yuasa bettery tender but the thing is that its parked on a college campus parking lo so I have no access to a plug unless I take the battery out and bring it in the my room to charge cause I also have an automatic batery charger in my dorm room.

SO I bought a voltmeter and the battery that I thuoght was dying came up 12.43 volts...which is still good...weird..I dunno why it would start before...so I now I got that battery and a everlast battery from walmart thats completely charged at 12.75.

QUICK QUESTION...What is my best option for charging my battery without aplug cause I"m leaving it here over spring break and I dunno wat tot do about the battery

Old 03-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Take the battery out and place it on a peice of wood, not on the floor and especially not on concrete as that will actually drain the power from the battery and cause the cells to short out. as for leaving it over spring break I would leave it in your room on the charger. Damn that sucks that you don't have access to a plug on campus, I'm gonna ponder that this evening and see if I can come up with a possible solution for you.

Or

Does any one else go to college that came up with a solution to this problem????

Old 03-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ID_CBRRider
Take the battery out and place it on a peice of wood, not on the floor and especially not on concrete as that will actually drain the power from the battery and cause the cells to short out. as for leaving it over spring break I would leave it in your room on the charger. Damn that sucks that you don't have access to a plug on campus, I'm gonna ponder that this evening and see if I can come up with a possible solution for you.

Or

Does any one else go to college that came up with a solution to this problem????
yea I"m prob just going to take out the battery and put it on a charger...ugh.. mad annoying, but I got a tool set up here so it should be too bad. Wish there was another alternative..like a solar charger..that would be sweet.

+1 for anyone on a college campus that has an idea on charging their battery.

Quick Reply: battery type