F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Getting a bike (probably one of many same posts)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a bike (probably one of many same posts)

Ok just like to introduce myself. Im gonna be 19 soon and am seriously contemplating getting a bike soon (new). I am about 5' 7" and 155 going into the Airforce soon so i need to swap the car for a bike for easy management.

Ive narrowed down my top choices and would like to get some feedback from you guys.

Honda CBR 600F4i (probably your favorite obviously)
Yamaha YZF R6 (light, fast and sleek, but is it better?)
Suzuki GSXR600 (cheapest=best?)
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (have seen it called Crapasaki, why)

Obviously i am a new rider, is there one that is better for a beginner? Ive toodled around with my dads Suki Bandit and consider myself very self controlled (did many track events in my car and realize limits well) but i am a beginner with these and want to know some opinions.

Thanks for reading this and if all goes well i hope to join you guys.
ALan

Old 07-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Default RE: Getting a bike (probably one of many same posts)

The honda is awesome. Beautiful design, bulletproof...

The yamaha is bad to the bone. It's not fuel injected until 2003, which is a problem for me. Also the 98-02 models had problems with the trannys. 2nd gear dies, and you need to replace it. check r6messagenet.com and search 2nd gear... You'll find hundreds of guys that have replaced their tranny's, 2nd gear, many times in just thousands of miles. Plus the carb... That's why I bought the honda.

The Suzuki is a good bike, I just don't like the styling. It's very dime a dozen, so you won't have a problem tracking one down for cheap. Everybody and their brother has a gsxr. The older ones are very ugly, IMO. The back end, the single light up front... I don't dig it.

Kawasaki just sucks. Crapasaki is right. My friend had a zx6 and it was the biggest piece ever. I heard their getting into gear with their latest bikes, but their past bikes are pretty much garbage. I would stay away from kawa, personally.. but you might get lucky. There are some deals that ya can't pass up. If a Ninja came up for a great price, I might jump on it.

The F4i's are sweet, but I honestly don't like the seating on the 04's and up. I'd get an 03 or something if I were you. Just so you get the seperated seat.

But if you decide to get a gsxr 750, I have a yoshimura carbon fiber pipe for sale here J/M

Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM

Hi - a bit of advice. Forget everyone else- Honda is the ONLY way to go. You will grow old and die before your bike gives you a problem. Do not mess with the 04 or 05 F4i. Good bike but the styling is different and the seats are like the touring style. Go with a 01 02 or 03 F4i. I keep hearing raves about this bike! Dealerships will try to talk you into buying a newer or bogger bike- dont listen. Im 240 pounds and frequently get my F4i up around 130 mph on the highway. (Not recommended unless you live in a traffic-free ghost town like I do.) Dependable, fast , and damn good looking, an 01 -03 F4i is a great bike.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:09 PM

Read up on some Cycleworld, or Motorcyclist artlcles and reviews. I used to subscribe but stopped because after each years reviews I always wanted a new bike. I can remember darn near every year the CBR 600's always got a review something to the tune of....."Fun, easy to ride, forgiving, most comfortable of the 4, and can hang with the best of them on the track with ease". Thats my advice, read up if you dont believe me, or if you havent already.
p.s.- Honda has been the best in motorcyclying ever since they revolutionized the motorcycling world circa 1972. Quality and performance cannot be matched as history has been repeated year after year.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the input. Im starting to like the F4i more since it has a more "grown up" look to it instead of all the other bikes that look (and maybe act) the part of boy racers. I have also alwayts liked honda's reliability and performance.
Ill look into an 01-03 F4i as mentioned since i like the seperated seats (thats what you meant right? marcee).
Thanks again and if all goes well i can be riding by summers end.
Alan

Old 07-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya can't go wrong with da F4i -- good looks, reliable, quick and great handling.

Honestly, I've owned pretty much everything except the Yammi's. All have performed well and I had no issues with things breaking. Of course I'm a maintenance FREEEEEEAK so that could be part of it. I've had faster bikes than my 1000RR but nothing even compared to the handling on this beast.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:02 PM

I have an 04 F4i and its a nice starter bike...yes it has the banana seat but for a guy like me who is old with a wife and 3 kids it works. My wife will actually ride on it cuz of that seat. I went with the Honda cuz I had frineds who had them and loved em. You wont be dissapointed. And their are ways to cover up the back part of the seat as well. Doesnt look as nice as an 01-03 but it does the job.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:39 PM

Congrats on going into the Air Force. I have been in for 7 yrs. Before you get a bike you should wait to see were you will be stationed. You could be in North Dakota or Alaska and a bike won't do you much good there. Most places I would recommend haveing a car first than a bike second or you might be SOL when the weather turns.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:44 PM

One more thing if your single you will have to live in the dorms your first couple of years. There are no garages so make sure your bike has full coverage because it will be sitting in a parking lot.