F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

fuel pump wont prime!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump wont prime!

02 f4i yesterday just replacing the wheel put it back together and fuel pump wont prime when key is on. The wiring was all screwy to begin with before, I had the headlight built in to a switch to turn on and off. Idk it was from previous owner. Found out the speedo fuse was blown the others fine. the pump gets power from my power probe but it wont fire. any ideas?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM

so i torn out the hacked up wire harness and ordered a new one. the pump got power threw the power probe for a bit but cant get power to it now. I think one of the censors tripped so if you think i got the new harness it would be fine?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be. There is a bank angle sensor (sometimes called a tip over sensor) mounted to the headlight in the middle on the back side that needs to be hooked up (or jumped out) in order for the pump to prime, as well as the kickstand switch. If you put the bike in neutral the k/s switch isn't "looked" at by the ECM. In other words if your pump primes with the bike in neutral, but not while in gear with the kick stand UP, then that switch is bad. But since your wires have been hacked n whacked theres no tellin. Once you get your new (used) harness, let us know what the deely is yo.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Should be. There is a bank angle sensor (sometimes called a tip over sensor) mounted to the headlight in the middle on the back side that needs to be hooked up (or jumped out) in order for the pump to prime, as well as the kickstand switch. If you put the bike in neutral the k/s switch isn't "looked" at by the ECM. In other words if your pump primes with the bike in neutral, but not while in gear with the kick stand UP, then that switch is bad. But since your wires have been hacked n whacked theres no tellin. Once you get your new (used) harness, let us know what the deely is yo.
I ran into that same problem after taking the headlight housing off to paint the inside. I forgot to mount the tip over sensor, and the fuel pump wouldn't prime. I did a quick google search and found out about the sensor, so of course I reinstalled it and it fixed the fuel pump problem.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:25 PM

Got the new harness in today and still nothing.. I crossed the tip over sensor and nothing, how can i cross the kickstand wires? The pink wire in the ignition has no power going to it when key is on.. i believe its the fuel pump one.