F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

frame sliders

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame sliders

ive heard alot of u guys talking about getting frame sliders, and i was wondering how much of a difference they really make if u drop the bike they dont look like they would make much of a difference and are they even worth the money and the holes in the fairing?

Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: frame sliders

They prevent a lot of fairing damage. The edges of the fairing are usually still affected if you lay it down at speed, however a lot of low speed damage is prevented.
The f4i has some problems like the alternator and crankcase covers sticking out, which causes damage not preventable by frame sliders.
However, I've slid twice now and both times my frame sliders were really ground up - I'm glad that didnt happen to my fairing instead! The sliders absorbed most of the sliding energy.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:19 AM

thanks for the reply i was thinking about getting them just cause its my first bike and i know ill be pissed if i lay it down and it gets all chewed up

Old 12-06-2006, 01:12 AM

its ironic that you have to mutilate your fairings in order to save them. but i guess a nicely drilled hole is better than ripped/gouged fairings. i personally have them on my f4i. i currently have a set of metal ones, but i think i might swap them out for a set of delrins

Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 AM

its ironic that you have to mutilate your fairings in order to save them. but i guess a nicely drilled hole is better than ripped/gouged fairings. i personally have them on my f4i. i currently have a set of metal ones, but i think i might swap them out for a set of delrins
Yeah I saw a set of F4i engraved Derlins on ebay I'm gonna get... Good choice. I would rather spend $70 buck on sliders instead of spending a ton more on new plastics and paint.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:11 AM

also there are these http://store.socalstuntsshop.com/Detail.bok?no=14 , but i dont know if thats over doing it and also does anyone know if u would still have to cut the faring to put that on, im just worried cause i go to empty parking lots and stuff and swerve and go real slow to get my balance down and stuff to get a feel for the bike so i kinda want something incase i drop it going real slow

Old 12-06-2006, 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: ampfp
They prevent a lot of fairing damage.
While this is true, that is not the intent of FRAME sliders. They are made to prevent major damage to the frame itself - protecting the plastics (to an extent) is just one of the perks.

I was awful skeptical about putting them on my bike as well - didn't wanna screw up while drilling the holes. But if you're careful enough they'll turn out fine. I used LSL frame sliders from Spiegler Performance (check out my gallery) - different look than all the delrin (Vortex type) sliders. They also stick out a lot farther than the ones you have probably seen - meaning they will "save" your plastics a little better. I have also heard/read several good things about them even though they are metal. So far I really like them and I have gotten a lot of compliments on them.

My $0.02.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:59 PM

I had plastic frame sliders on my bike until gravel decided to take hold of my bike and slam it down. The frame slider got ripped off and caused alot of damage to the fairing but other than that my frame is still straight along with everything else. I am glad that I had them on there and I am looking for some new ones to put on. I have a question about the delrin frame sliders... are the stronger than the plastic ones?

Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Did you have the no drill plastic ones or the drill ones? There are also fairing protector sliders which tend to rip off and destroy the fairing.

The plastic (Derlin) drill sliders are what I heard is the best. I just ordered some Harris Performance Derlin sliders, because supposedly they have a template for cutting the fairing...

Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 PM

DO NOT GET NO-DRILL SLIDERS! Vortex is a good brand. If you do a search there's a ton of threads about sliders.
________
SIDE EFFECTS OF AVANDIA

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 03:56 AM.

Quick Reply: frame sliders