F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

fork upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knonfs
Would you say that your impression was affected by being "stretched out"? Say, if the clip ons were higher and closer to you, would you say that the ride was the same as the OEM?

no they didnt ride like oem. the rr did more so than others but the other feel much more like a dirtbike. thats he only way to describe it, like they dont want to countersteer the same. (that goes for all of them)
now the rr susp on my rr feels amazing and handles amazing

Don't forget radial brakes (in some cases)
radial brake help to eliminate flex, u can get good conventional mount brakes that will serve the purpose expecptionally well on the oem f4i forks, now if youre some crazy pro rider youll notice a difference, but itll most likely be a placebo effect if youre just a i-ride-bc-i-enjoy-riding like most people on here.

So they suck based on experience, or on what you think?
i wouldnt say suck is the right word, but they feel kind weird on the f4i. it takes a lot of work too if you wanna keep your steering lock and ignition in the same place, and your steering stops and your turning radius. along with any chance for a simple bolt up damper.
the inverted forks on an f4i is cool for street use if youre just looking for something else to do to the bike and have plenty of time to invest in it and just want it to look pretty, for stunting it does help, for track use i dont see how it would be benificial

i dont know everything, but my advice it to leave the susp on the f4i alone, even the rr swingarm mod, that mod was horrible, i hated it. im not trying to talk down on the f4i, but honda did a lot of work on that bike. in its day it was THE bike, and it still is a very good bike.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by vangill
no they didnt ride like oem. the rr did more so than others but the other feel much more like a dirtbike. thats he only way to describe it, like they dont want to countersteer the same. (that goes for all of them)
now the rr susp on my rr feels amazing and handles amazing

radial brake help to eliminate flex, u can get good conventional mount brakes that will serve the purpose expecptionally well on the oem f4i forks, now if youre some crazy pro rider youll notice a difference, but itll most likely be a placebo effect if youre just a i-ride-bc-i-enjoy-riding like most people on here.

i wouldnt say suck is the right word, but they feel kind weird on the f4i. it takes a lot of work too if you wanna keep your steering lock and ignition in the same place, and your steering stops and your turning radius. along with any chance for a simple bolt up damper.
the inverted forks on an f4i is cool for street use if youre just looking for something else to do to the bike and have plenty of time to invest in it and just want it to look pretty, for stunting it does help, for track use i dont see how it would be benificial

i dont know everything, but my advice it to leave the susp on the f4i alone, even the rr swingarm mod, that mod was horrible, i hated it. im not trying to talk down on the f4i, but honda did a lot of work on that bike. in its day it was THE bike, and it still is a very good bike.

I apppreciate your input, looks like you have first hand experience with it. What didn't you like about the swingarm mod?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Im not sure how they are stiffer when both forks are 41mm but Im not an expert so I won't venture a guess.
1krr forks are 50mm not 41

Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM

I apppreciate your input, looks like you have first hand experience with it. What didn't you like about the swingarm mod?
most (including vangil) will suggest against it... i would say it looks cool and rides great but if your looking for performance ide just get a aftermarket shock and call it a day there

Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM
July 2010 ROTM

it does look very cool, but it just rides terrible, it doesnt dampen like it should and its just a little longer so the bikes not quite as flickable, still plenty flickable, but not as nimble as it is with the stock swingarm on it
main thing i didnt like was the ride, it almost felt like it was a hardtail, the f4i just isnt designed for the prolink

Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by __Z__
most (including vangil) will suggest against it... i would say it looks cool and rides great but if your looking for performance ide just get a aftermarket shock and call it a day there
It does looks cool.
Originally Posted by vangill
it does look very cool, but it just rides terrible, it doesnt dampen like it should and its just a little longer so the bikes not quite as flickable, still plenty flickable, but not as nimble as it is with the stock swingarm on it
main thing i didnt like was the ride, it almost felt like it was a hardtail, the f4i just isnt designed for the prolink
Got you!

I will be doing both swaps shortly and will post my comments on it. I am not a racer, but do ride the bike as hard as I can on roads that allow it. If I don't like the feel, I will go back to stock, and sell all of the parts

BTW - I am not a stunter, I mainly ride on twisty roads. Not a racer either, but will start attending track days, since the last time I rode on the street, things got ugly (somebody went down in front of me); lets just say that the incident open my eyes...

Last edited by knonfs; 12-09-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:19 AM

k good your not a racer bc you cant do stoppies with the pro link on the f4i.. unless you wanna crack your block

low rider

Name:  rrswingarm.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  171.4 KB

Last edited by __Z__; 12-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by __Z__
k good your not a racer bc you cant do stoppies with the pro link on the f4i.. unless you wanna crack your block

low rider

Pro Link? whats that?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Pro Link? whats that?

Nevermind, I got it. Pro Link is the name/design of the shock mount on the 600rr. Damn, so it cant handle stoppies? Good thing I am not into that stuff

Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 PM
July 2010 ROTM

no, it can handle it just fine, its that to put it on the f4i you dont use the factory shock mount, you have to mount it to the centerstand mount which is attached to the block of the engine. now a centerstand isnt a big deal but a stoppie comes down much harder and causes mroe stress than a centerstand and it rips that mount off taking part of the block with it and destroying your engine.

Quick Reply: fork upgrade