F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Flushmount installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushmount installation

are installing flushmounts difficult?
All you have to do is remove the upper cowel and replace flush mounts?

Also, in the hand book it says to but back bolts at a certain torque wit torque wrench..is that necessary?

Old 03-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Default RE: Flushmount installation

It's not THAT difficult, but be prepared to remove the front cowling completely. The taking off part is easy, it's the putting back on part that sucks @ss.

Also, I highly recommend installing a replacement relay while you have the cowling off. The factory relay is designed to flash at a faster rate if it detects a drop in resistance. They were designed this way on purpose to let you know that you have a flasher bulb burnt out. This is why the LED signals blink fast. There are a number of aftermarket relays that you can install that are "dumb" to the drop in resistance and blink at a constant rate no matter what. This prevents having to install your own resistors, etc.

I've got the Protons flushmounts and love them. I bought the flasher relay from CustomLED.com for about $20.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:27 AM

I thought it was pretty easy, only thing I had a problem with was getting the wiring right. I hooked it up wrong the first time but I got it after the second try. I think they look sweet.

Daniel Thompson

Old 03-22-2006, 06:43 PM

what does it take to take the fron cowling off i tried and couldnt get it off, i didnt want to pull too hard in case i ripped something off. yes im a nerd

Old 03-22-2006, 06:56 PM

It's not hard if you get all the screws. Make sure to get the plastic body clips attached to the inner fairing behing the front wheel. There are also a couple of large, silver allen head screws around the handle bars that need to come out. Lastly, you kind of have to pull the fairing up and off the holes where the mirrors screw on.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM

stupid question but do i have to unscrew the mirrors? By bike is stored right now so i cant look at it. thanks i tried before and couldnt get it and was going to pay the shop to install my flushmounts. but i wanna save 150 bucks.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:57 AM

Yes, you have to unscrew the Mirrors.

Took out the bolts on the side fairings that mount to the front fairing.
Took off Mirrors.
Took off the plastic piece that is behind the front tire, the piece Covering the front of the engine.

You also have to unplug some wiring.
Thats all I really remember but everything should COME OFF pretty easily, you shouldnt have to pull on it.
If it feels like something is still holding, then there probably is something still holding it on.

Daniel Thompson

Old 03-24-2006, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

It's not THAT difficult, but be prepared to remove the front cowling completely. The taking off part is easy, it's the putting back on part that sucks @ss.

Also, I highly recommend installing a replacement relay while you have the cowling off. The factory relay is designed to flash at a faster rate if it detects a drop in resistance. They were designed this way on purpose to let you know that you have a flasher bulb burnt out. This is why the LED signals blink fast. There are a number of aftermarket relays that you can install that are "dumb" to the drop in resistance and blink at a constant rate no matter what. This prevents having to install your own resistors, etc.

I've got the Protons flushmounts and love them. I bought the flasher relay from CustomLED.com for about $20.
Was this a universal mount that you bought? Do you have a pic? I have been wanting flushmounts, don't want the customs, too much $$, but I'm curious to see how the universal's look.