F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fix for broken rear seat lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for broken rear seat lock

This morning, when I tried to unlock the rear seat on my 02 f4i, it wouldn't unlock! I just kept pulling it and it stayed the same. Any suggestions? Should I just take off the main seat and try to stick my arm in the rear and unlock the rear seat?

Thanks guys.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the other threads here on this...

Since you have the split-seat, you can take off the front seat, reach a hanger back to the lock & manipulate it to unlock.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM

I wish you the best of luck. Consider yourself fortunate that you have a split seat. This happened to me with a banana seat. Talk about a nightmare lol

Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM

I've had the same thing happen to me, more than once.

First, is there anything packed in the trunk? If so, it could be that whatever is packed in is pushing against the latch mechanism/wire too hard and thus preventing it from pulling the latch back when you turn the key (you should be able to tell if the key doesn't turn all the way or is hard to turn). I've had this happen once when I tried to cram a bottle into the trunk and closed it forcefully.

Otherwise, if there is nothing crammed in the trunk, probably the wire that pulls the latch open via the lock has gotten disconnected.

In both cases, your best bet is to remove the front seat. (Can be easily done by taking out the two screws toward the back under the seat cushion and then lifting the seat out.) Then, if there are things crammed in the trunk you can try to reach in and move those things so they don't push up against the wire/latch. If nothing is in the trunk, as stated by others, the best thing to do is reach in with something and pull the latch back (or rather, toward the side). This could be a pain and might take you a lot of fiddling around, but it's probably the easiest option without damaging anything.

Obviously, if the latch and wire were disconnected, make sure you put them back together appropriately before you close the trunk again. (Yes I have done that before :P)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 PM

Sometimes my seat wont come off with just turning the lock, If i hit the seat on top of where the lock is with the key turned it will normally unlock.