F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kukku
I never use WD40 to clean the chain since I don't know if the solvents in it will damage the O rings or not. Instead, and as per manual, I use kerosene and the chain is still going strong at 12K miles.
WD40 is 50% solvent (Stoddard), 25% Propellent (CO2), 15% light lubricating oil (mineral oil) and 10% inert ingredients. Stoddard solvent is primarily hexane which is a a hydrocarbon similar to kerosene. It will not damage the o-rings. You can use kerosene or WD40. I prefer the WD40 because it comes in a convenient size can, sprays with some velocity to help dislodge debris, and allows you to spray it into some very hard to reach places. Plus I always have a can of WD40 handy. I can't remember the last time I've ever needed kerosene for anything else around the house. And I would think that it would be safer to store a little 12 oz. can of WD40 rather than a 1 gallon can of kerosene. Of course if you already have kerosene sitting around for other reasons then it might be easier to just use that...

Last edited by weeeezzll; 10-15-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Got it all cleaned up! Looks good. What's the purpose of torquing the axle bolt specifically to 69-70? I didn't have a torque wrench on me, so a friend and I just cranked them down til they put up a little bit of a fight. We weren't like standing on the wrenches by any means to tight them, but gave it a few good tugs. Is this gonna hurt anything??

Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by Junior2552
Got it all cleaned up! Looks good. What's the purpose of torquing the axle bolt specifically to 69-70? I didn't have a torque wrench on me, so a friend and I just cranked them down til they put up a little bit of a fight. We weren't like standing on the wrenches by any means to tight them, but gave it a few good tugs. Is this gonna hurt anything??
Dude- I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be an *** here- but are you sure you're equipped to be maintaining a motor vehicle? I think you need to find a qualified mechanic in the area and have them do your work for you until you learn more. If you don't even know what purpose torque specs are for on bolts, you're going to fubar something really fast.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 AM

So I appreciate you TRYING to not sound like an ***. But i know the torque specs.. But I'm currently at school, and don't have my torque wrench in my dorm.. I've been working on cars and bikes my whole life.. But this is my first sport bike, and things are done differently. What sucks more is that I really respected people on here for being polite and tolerating some pretty stupid questions like that one. And a Moderator is the first one to be an *******. That's pretty cool. I wasn't asking about the torque specs, you can clearly see I know what they are.. But on my 79 Harley, you don't need simply 69 lb ft on the axle nut.. it needs a lot more, about 100 if I remember correctly. But I appreciate your attempt at not being an *******. It was more insulting than anything..

Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Junior2552
Under torque:
Obviously you run the risk of the nut/bolt coming lose.

Over torque:
This puts extra stress on the nut/bolt and can cause it to fail (break).

In both cases out of spec torques can cause other related parts to fail and/or wear out prematurely.

There are many factors involved in torquing nuts and bolts. Oil/grease, Teflon tape, and even the plating of the bolt can reduce the amount of torque that is required. So it's not only important to torque to spec, but to always ensure that the composition of replacement nuts and bolts are the same. For example Cadium plated bolt requires 25% less torque that it's non-plated equivalent.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks Weez, I'm going to grab a torque wrench tomorrow and loosen the nut up and re-torque it. Just so it puts my mind at ease ahaha. Somebody tried to convince me i would bend the swing arm if i over torqued it.. I'm a pretty strong guy i guess? =) thanks for all the info though!! Greatly appreciated.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 PM

wow, awesome finding weeeezzll!!!

WD-40 FTW! Hahaha