F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

First bike Fi light and engine noise.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike Fi light and engine noise.

Hey guys im new to the forum and bikes in general. I just picked up an 01 f4i with around 16k on it. The only thing it has aftermarket is a D&D exhaust and some HID headlights and taillights. I bought the bike with the Fi light on. All it did was flash once every couple of seconds, now it flashes twice, and stays on once warmed up. The previous owner told me it was because of the exhaust. Also once warmed up it has a rattle which sounds louder from the left side of the bike, but only when i just barely crack the throttle from 1200-3000rpm. If i go slowly up in the rpms i hear nothing. Only at low rpm and a quick snap. Could it be a timming chain? The previous owner didnt get me the manual yet, so i feel pretty lost.

Thanks much

-Alex

Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex-

The noise could be the CCT making that obnoxious rattling noise.

the f1 light blinking twice is the map sensor, loose vacuum hoses, or the ECU itself.

I doubt the f1 light would be from the pipe, unless it were the full header. Don't quote me on that one though.

ps: if it's the CCT, but the APE manual CCT
if it's the Map Sensor, I have one for sale.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Ok I'll do a run down and check for vaccum leaks then let you know if I find anything. Just wondering what does CCT stand for? Also another thing is it normal for the bike to idle wierd when first started, similar to a car? Idle high and if I touch the throttle it will stay at a higher rpm? Thanks for the help man.

-Alex

Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 90AWDeclipse
Ok I'll do a run down and check for vaccum leaks then let you know if I find anything. Just wondering what does CCT stand for? Also another thing is it normal for the bike to idle wierd when first started, similar to a car? Idle high and if I touch the throttle it will stay at a higher rpm? Thanks for the help man.

-Alex
Cam Chain Tensioner - very common problem with F4i's.
I myself have a little rattling at about 4.5-5k rpm, sounds like a small hive of bees in a can.
Trying to find a local ship that will fix it without paying an arm and leg, Im not comfortable enough to make such a repair.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Its actually the CCTL (Lifter). The part is pretty cheap at $60. The repair is a PITA if you have big hands like me but is really easy if you take your time. Honda wanted $130 for labor, with the usual caveats.

Let the bike warm up and see if the idle reduces. When the Bike is cold it will stay at high rpm until the (choke) goes off.

You may have bigger issues though, possible ECU issue.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Ok I thought it was just weird that it was only at low rpm and if I quickly snapped the throttle. But I'm going to pull the fairings either tomorrow or wensday and check for leaks. And try and determine exactly where the noise Is coming from. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 90AWDeclipse

-Alex

Yes, when u first start your bike it will idle high and gradually lower to about 1,500 when your engine warms up.