F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

FI Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI Light Issue

Okay, I took off my front fairing before I stored my motorcycle. I want to do HID's. So the other day it was noice weather so i wanted to take it out. I had taken off the rear fairing because it needs fiberglass work. I put the battery back in and put on the tail fairing. Did not put back on my Scorpio alarm because I was only riding that day. I dont have the hijack feature installed so I dont think the alarm had anything to do with it. I put back on the front fairing, hooking up the Tip sensor and the bundle of connectors on the left side. When I turn the key the FI light does not come on. I turn the kill switch to on (which normally primes the fuel pump and makes the FI light turn off) and it does nothing. The FI light diddnt come on with the Engine light. Did not blink. Bike is stored outside in a garage, covered. It always was a bit buggy with the FI light. Sometimes every once in a while the light will come on and it will pop when I engine brake, but it seemed random. So i took the fairing off and checked the tip over sensor, and it was plugged in. I decided to be done with it and took the battery out and put it back in the garage. Any ideas? I am not sure if it was a wire i did not plug in, or if it was the weather (20's and 30's to 60's overnight). Thanks for the responses.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FI Light Issue

weather shouldnt of had anything to do with it. I ride in the 20's all the time. Check all your wiring out real good. All the sensors and make sure nothing came unplugged or got missed. Also check your fuses and make sure none of them got blown. wait, you said you removed an alarm system and didnt reinstall prior. That is most likely your culprit as it ties into that circuit. I've had alarm systems go bad on 2 f4i's ive worked on and caused that exact problem. also had one that someone else had removed the old alarm system but left one of the wires to the ignition circuit bare and it would while riding vibrate against the frame and blow the fuse. That also caused a similiar issue you describe and was a pain to track down.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM

I have checked my fuses and I did not tie into any wires for my alarm. I never cut or spliced anything to install it. The only thing I did was take apart the front fairing and pull out the headlights and the wiring harness and put it back together.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 PM

The only think (that i can think of) that would prevent the fuel pump from priming is the bank angle sensor. Your Fuel pump will still prime with the kickstand down and the clutch not depressed (both of those are also engine kill switches).

Try to see if you can start the bike by jumping the BAS. I'm willing to be that's your problem since you were working on the front fairing. You don't have it on upside down do you? The U faces downwards lol. Check for any corrosion and lube them pins.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 PM

Oh my god. You are probably right. I did not even think to check which way was up. DUH! Would that stop the FI light from ever coming on? Thank you for the response. I am an ***.