CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

94 CBR 600 Oil light issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 CBR 600 Oil light issue

Alright so today I was out taking a nice relaxing ride and had the bike running at about 65mph, but did get it up to 75 while passing someone. Anyway as I neared the next town, I tried to give the bike a little more gas and for some reason, she didn't seem to want to speed up. In fact even after downshifting and trying to resume/maintain speed she still seemed to act up. This is also the time I realized the exhaust sounded kind of crappy and not how it normally sounds. So I downshifted to neutral and pulled off onto a side street and as soon as I began to turn onto the street, the oil light kicked on and the bike shut itself off. So I **** her off and waited a bit for her to cool off (temp gauge was running below half the entire time) and tried to start her up. No luck. Afterwards opened the choke and tried and she fired up but sounded horrible so shut her off quick. The entire time it sounded like something was knocking up near the top right side of the engine. Well got her home in the truck and once we unloaded her, she fired right up. The exhaust again sounded like crap but only briefly and then she sounded like her good ol' self. So I guess my question is has anyone ever ran into this problem or a similar one? If yo have any insight let me know. Thanks and I hope to hear some good news soon.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was that sound definitely a "knocking", or was it kind of a rattling sound, like a tin can with some nuts and bolts in it?

Not hearing it ourselves, it's kind of like shooting in the dark, but the first thing I would think of is the CCT (cam chain tensioner), which, when failed, can lead to a "dropped valve", that could give you a knocking noise... at that point, your engine is usually toast.
But, you're saying it's running fine now? If so, then it's hard to say what's going on, but out of curiosity, do you have an OEM CCT, or an aftermarket manual CCT?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered Users

I am not honestly sure if I have an OEM or aftermarket CCT but we did change the oil and plugs recently if that would pose any effect. Other than that I'm not sure what was up with it but after sitting for close to an hour she started right back up. My dad and grandfather were talking about it... and they had mentioned a "vapor lock" but they didn't think it would have caused the oil light to come on so.... not sure

Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBread16
I am not honestly sure if I have an OEM or aftermarket CCT but we did change the oil and plugs recently if that would pose any effect. Other than that I'm not sure what was up with it but after sitting for close to an hour she started right back up. My dad and grandfather were talking about it... and they had mentioned a "vapor lock" but they didn't think it would have caused the oil light to come on so.... not sure
Well, in your first post, where you mentioned the oil light coming on, you said the bike died - the oil light will come on when the bike dies, that's just the way it's wired.

It's true, you should verify that the fuel tank's vent hose, connected to the bottom of the tank (the smaller of the two side-by-side hoses), isn't kinked, because that could cause a running problem, but that wouldn't have one single thing to do with any knocking of the engine, unless you were just hearing maybe kind of a "coughing" sound from the engine, when it became fuel-starved.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its pretty easy to find out whether its aftermarket or a oem cct. To your top right of the engine cover you should see the cct, it is bolted downwards by 2 12mm bolts I believe.

Just google cbr f2 cct so you get a clue of what your looking for. Also you can search on youtube for cbr f2 noise and most of them are the cct, just check and compare to the noise you heard.

Last edited by campos_motorsports; 05-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Well, in your first post, where you mentioned the oil light coming on, you said the bike died - the oil light will come on when the bike dies, that's just the way it's wired.

It's true, you should verify that the fuel tank's vent hose, connected to the bottom of the tank (the smaller of the two side-by-side hoses), isn't kinked, because that could cause a running problem, but that wouldn't have one single thing to do with any knocking of the engine, unless you were just hearing maybe kind of a "coughing" sound from the engine, when it became fuel-starved.
+1

If the problem wasn't because of a kinked vent hose I would check the R/R next (see sticky post at top of F2 section for diagnosing help)