F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i vs. ninja 250R for beginners

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live in the uk and we have diff laws on learning to ride i had to start on a small 50cc at 16 then a 125 at 17 then could have taken my test and ridden a bike with a horse power of no more than 33bhp for two year or wait untill i was 21 and take test on a larger bike and ride what ever i wanted and even then i brough a 500cc ninja to learn proper road craft and riding technique after a while on that i brough my 2001 f4i, i think our system even though quite drawn out makes you respect the power and what a bike can do (i could keep up with much faster 600s on my 500 ninja in twistys). anyone that says they learnt to ride in a month is right they probs did "learn" i a month but to master all the skills properly takes years.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 115Degrees
I know its been a while, but I recall the riding test to get your license was a bit more difficult than that especially since about half the people didn't even pass. But you validate my point, you don't need an over-glorified MSF course to learn how to ride a bike.
I have been riding bikes since I was 8 years old. I don't know if the MSF is different here in Canada but I found it extremely helpful and it got rid of a lot of bad habits and instilled good ones as well. To say it's over-glorified is a little ridiculous. I think it should be mandatory. It would save time, money and lives. It's absurd that any schmuck can go write a written test to get his M1 and then jump on his brand new R1 or 'Busa 10mins later. No wonder so many people die. If I have been riding bikes for 20 years and think that I learned something from a $500 dollar course that I know will probably save my life, then I am sure you'd learn something too.

Last edited by FLuK28; 08-13-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 PM

As a person who bought a new 2009 ninja 250r a year ago and then also bought while KEEPING the ninja, a 2001 cbr600f4i I would say that there are no drawbacks to starting on the 250R. I would definitely do it all over again. I got a good deal on the ninja, insurance was cheap, and I had money left over for gear. I learned a lot on the ninja and it forgave me many times when I made a stupid mistake. I also never got "bored" with it or made fun of. I actually did and still do get more "nice bike!" comments when I'm out on the ninja than on the f4i.

I kept the ninja around and still ride it a bunch as well because its fun to ride, looks awesome, and gets 55 mpg all the time. As for those people saying they are crap quality and a waste of bike I would contend that you don't know what you are talking about. I have put 7500 miles on the ninja in one year, everything from in town riding to 75 mph on the highway at 9500 rpm for 2 HOURS STRAIGHT and haven't had a single problem. The ninja is cheap, reliable, and capable. I even had it to 110 mph indicated tucked pinned and downhill for those of you who are obsessed with speed.

I also love the f4i. Its a great bike, very fast, and the acceleration is really fun. However I am glad I didn't start out on it. My insurance would have been much higher and I wouldn't appreciate it as much if I hadn't started on something slower.

At the end of the day just get whatever bike you want. If you're a real rider you give props to anyone on two wheels (except scooters..) and you shouldn't get any crap for having a "***** 250 with a small back tire" from anybody.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Captlombardi
As a person who bought a new 2009 ninja 250r a year ago and then also bought while KEEPING the ninja, a 2001 cbr600f4i I would say that there are no drawbacks to starting on the 250R. I would definitely do it all over again. I got a good deal on the ninja, insurance was cheap, and I had money left over for gear. I learned a lot on the ninja and it forgave me many times when I made a stupid mistake. I also never got "bored" with it or made fun of. I actually did and still do get more "nice bike!" comments when I'm out on the ninja than on the f4i.

I kept the ninja around and still ride it a bunch as well because its fun to ride, looks awesome, and gets 55 mpg all the time. As for those people saying they are crap quality and a waste of bike I would contend that you don't know what you are talking about. I have put 7500 miles on the ninja in one year, everything from in town riding to 75 mph on the highway at 9500 rpm for 2 HOURS STRAIGHT and haven't had a single problem. The ninja is cheap, reliable, and capable. I even had it to 110 mph indicated tucked pinned and downhill for those of you who are obsessed with speed.

I also love the f4i. Its a great bike, very fast, and the acceleration is really fun. However I am glad I didn't start out on it. My insurance would have been much higher and I wouldn't appreciate it as much if I hadn't started on something slower.

At the end of the day just get whatever bike you want. If you're a real rider you give props to anyone on two wheels (except scooters..) and you shouldn't get any crap for having a "***** 250 with a small back tire" from anybody.
excellent feedback. thanks!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM

This thread took off like a forest fire Slate be sure to let us know what you end up getting so we can throw some more gas on the fire after it dies down a little

Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by usetheffours
This thread took off like a forest fire Slate be sure to let us know what you end up getting so we can throw some more gas on the fire after it dies down a little
HAHA!! Ahhh, good times!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 PM

I started on my f4i after never riding a bike before in my life. It's not that fast so that it's going to scare you and make you wreck... I can see myself getting bored with the 600 in the next year or two and wanting a 1000, I'd be miserable on a scooter (250)

Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m3ds
I started on my f4i after never riding a bike before in my life. It's not that fast so that it's going to scare you and make you wreck... I can see myself getting bored with the 600 in the next year or two and wanting a 1000, I'd be miserable on a scooter (250)
typical riding for the wrong reasons answer....

Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 PM

I agree the 250's are only for a small percentage of riders to learn on. Very short, small people and women.
My wife is 5'4" and she took the MSF course on a rebel 250 and she hated it. Two months later she is riding my VFR 800 barely touching the ground on her toes.
Most people are going to outgrow them very fast and going to want to upgrade to another bike.
Buy a used F4I or SV650, both will take you where you want to be.
Tom

Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
typical riding for the wrong reasons answer....
Who is to say what is the right or wrong reason to ride? All due respect, I didn't say I rode because "Bitches love bikes and if I get a 1000 I will get mad wimmenz" or something squid-ish like that. I just said I'm getting used to the power band of the 600 and will be ready for a 1000 soon.

I'd be bored on a 250, same as I get bored driving my Miata versus the Z. I see no difference... and I don't understand why that is riding for the wrong reasons. I ride because I love speed, which I'm sure is the reason a LOT of people on here ride as well. If not, we'd all be rocking Ninja 250's.

Quick Reply: F4i vs. ninja 250R for beginners