F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i - valve clearance adjustment, 100 miles in hit rev limiter grips vibrating more?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 06:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool F4i - valve clearance adjustment, 100 miles in hit rev limiter grips vibrating more?

Hey all - FINALLY got the valve clearance check done after messing it up a few times. Bike sounds wonderful and is running better for sure. During testing after about 100 miles I hit the rev limiter in second and it bounced and I let off. Little too late I know. However, now I notice that there is more of a vibration/shake in the grips. Like hand numbing after 25-30 minutes. I've never had this happen in the past that I can remember. It's not too terrible and I can live with it but just wondering what may of caused that? Anything I can look into? At this point, I can get the valve cover off, valves adjusted, and back on within 40 minutes after doing it so many times so I'm more than happy to tear into the bike but just not exactly sure what I am looking for.

Not a master mechanic but am knowledgeable enough to take things apart and put em back together.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Edit: debating taking it to a shop just for a look over but don't want to spend the money and not sure who I can really trust since I've never been to a bike mechanic. Whole point of doing the valve adjustment was to save money and trust my work.

Last edited by JakeMN; 08-18-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:58 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeMN
Hey all - FINALLY got the valve clearance check done after messing it up a few times. Bike sounds wonderful and is running better for sure. During testing after about 100 miles I hit the rev limiter in second and it bounced and I let off. Little too late I know. However, now I notice that there is more of a vibration/shake in the grips.

Edit: debating taking it to a shop just for a look over but don't want to spend the money and not sure who I can really trust since I've never been to a bike mechanic. Whole point of doing the valve adjustment was to save money and trust my work.
There have been SO many times I've had that feeling of a job well accomplished come crashing down with something else going wrong...

I don't have much to offer other than some empathy and to say that it doesn't seem that, if you've done it correctly, the valves would be fine for 100 miles and then suddenly be "not" fine due to rpm's. Honda is known for their "soft" limiters and hitting it should not typically do any harm to the engine. I hit mine many times after adjusting my valves, to no ill effect.

As for taking it elsewhere, yeah it sucks, but a knowledgeable and trustworthy mechanic is really worth their weight in gold. I paid one to have a Speed Triple gone over because I just didn't have time or know how to dig into it and, yeah, it cost more than I wanted but ended up saving me in the long run. He spent a lot of time talking to me and telling exactly what he had done and what he had found, so I learned a lot in the process. Just make sure you have a lot of gold and that they are willing to talk to you beforehand. Sometimes they'll give you an idea of what to look at if you describe what's going on...

Good luck man!

Old 08-19-2022, 09:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate the advice man. Luckily I just found a shop that's sorta like a co-op with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to help out. Sounds like I'll pick up a monthly membership ($200) and tear back into her and maybe even freshen some things up. Grants me access to the shop 24/7, tools, and help with pretty much any project/bike. Background check required but sounds like a sweet place. Will be touring tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2022, 05:45 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeMN
I appreciate the advice man. Luckily I just found a shop that's sorta like a co-op with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to help out...
Wow! That is awesome! Wish I had something like that near me! Hope that works out for you!

The mechanic I've been using started off as a "traveling" mechanic a few years back when he first moved into the area. Was semi-retired (moved here from Florida, which seems like a "reverse" retirement ) and did work when he felt like it. Charged $50/hr and let me assist with the work which was really cool. Didn't need him for a couple of years and recently got in touch with him. He's back to full time running his own shop, no more traveling, and has work backed up for 4-6 weeks! Super cool dude and keeps customers informed of everything he is doing. I asked about using his shop/expertise at a reduced rate but he said "Nah."