F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i at Jennings yesterday...

Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Berto
Well done, Jeremy. I run Jennings on my F4i once in a while. Great fun. But I've always been in a crowd. Love to do it with no one there.

Some questions: What camera is that? How did you mount it for the front and rear shots. I assume that white cord is a safety line? As for scraping stuff, did you take the curb feelers off the rider pegs? Mine were scraping but that fixed it.

I also have trouble with early braking in turn 1. I think everyone does. Turn 13 and 14 are a challenge, too--right hand sweepers. I'm also less comfortable in rights than lefts. I figured it was because I'm left handed. Dunno.

Nice job. Maybe I'll see you up there sometime.

--Paul
It was a GoPro camera, I'm not sure which model. This guy was renting them for $20 per session. He had a suction cup mount that he just stuck on the tank in front of me and behind. The mount was a little taller than I would have liked for the windshield view because I couldn't tuck as much as I wanted, otherwise it wasn't in the way. The cord was to hold the camera on incase the cup failed. I have no feeler on the right but I do on the left. If it was gone I'm sure it would help but like I said had I given it a little more effort and gotten off the bike I have no problem with pegs scrapping.

I appreciate the comments. I still have a lot to work on!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ali7up
of the topic..but is that a frank thomas xti pant or suit? how is it? i was planning on buying that
It's a full suit and it's OK. I've heard both good and bad things about the suit. Some have faired well in crashes, others no. I have a Dainese slip on back protector but I'm going to get the full chest/back protector from Alpinestars. I also wear Icon Field Armor Shorts underneath incase the suit fails. The suit was tearing my knees up so I bought knee pads that I wear underneath but that could just be from breaking it in.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad everyone likes it! I gotta come clean on the fact that yes it is only my 3rd bike track day but I've done close to 40 in a car so I understand track dynamics. I just need to get comfortable with doing it on a bike.

One thing that surprised me was how well the F4i can do on the track, even with the banana seat. Everytime I went to a bike meet people would say that's a stunter bike or hit on the fact that it's not an RR, R6, Gixxer, etc as if its performance was so much less than the RR. For awhile I believed it because it is not as track oriented as the others but I've come to realize at the track day level unless you're in advanced and you really know how to ride even within that group the differences between bikes is minimal.

I had asked an advanced guy to look at my tires to see if I could get another track day or two out of them and he said yes. This guy pitted near me stated that meant I wasn't riding hard enough. He had followed me for a couple laps and stated my form was on novice par (which I really didn't have a problem with). Anyway, he had a '04 Gixxer 600 with a power commander, full suspension, a couple other mods, slicks, tire warmers and he made the comment he couldn't go back to street tires. By the end of the day I was turning the same lap times he was. lol

I had considered getting suspension because I feel like mine is bottomed out but it made me realize I'd rather spend some more money on doing more track days and get all I can out of what I got before I spend money trying to go faster because of lack of skill.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=JeremyGSU;838100]>>Thanks for the comments and I'm glad everyone likes it! I gotta come clean on the fact that yes it is only my 3rd bike track day but I've done close to 40 in a car so I understand track dynamics. I just need to get comfortable with doing it on a bike.

One thing that surprised me was how well the F4i can do on the track, even with the banana seat. <<

As you probably know, the F4 was Honda's leading racing bike six or seven years ago, so it's track DNA is well established. At the amateur level, 90 percent of this is rider skill. I've seen well-handled SV650s absolutely spank litre banks.

When I was watching your film, I sort of had deja vu. It's common to go through several turns with a good line, everything smooth and fast, then blow the next two, then get back on the line. Even after a hundred laps, it's surprisingly hard to learn track lines consistently.

I don't plan to race, so the reason I ride the track is for fun and to build skill. Tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about riding 140 MPH in long straights, because you have to deal with that braking at the end. And I don't do that on the street. (Except when visiting Europe.)
But I do like to blister through the turns at max effort. Cornering is what it's all about.

My ideal track would be one more technical than Jennings, without the long back straight and just some short straights. Not many of those around, I'm afraid. I'm planning to take the track course later in the fall, I think.

--Paul

Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 AM

The f4i is a great track bike. Once you get it over far enough (enough speed with good body position) the bike will drag pegs but that's a simple fix. Definitely take the feelers off though. On my bike, i set the suspension to almost full hard on everything and I didn't have any stability issues. You have to be pushing the bike pretty hard to warrant a full suspension upgrade. I miss my old 600 (compared to my 1000) since it was so small and easy to flick around the track. You pretty much have all the standard fancy bits (maybe get some real good brake pads) and your tire choice is great so go tear up some more tracks!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 AM

looks good man. hope to get out on PBIR after the summer heat breaks.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
mpz

F4i is a great track bike - especially for beginners. I love doing track days on mine. It has very neutral handling and is very flickable. GL and keep the shiny side up!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Awesome videos, man.

I'm planning on making the trip to Jennings with (hopefully) my roommate, who may be getting an F4i, too, in the near future, and a good friend of ours, who rides an 06 600RR, early next year (January/February). If you would like to join, that would be awesome.

I have been dying to track the bike, but I figure by then, both myself and she will be prepared (only need a few more misc. gear things, but she still needs a little bit of work), and ready to drag some knee.

Let me know if you think you'll be down. It seems far away, but odds are, it'll be here in no time.

Random question, dunno if you'll know the answer -

Do they allow two-piece suits, or do they need to be one-piece?

I was planning on buying some Dainese pants to go with my jacket and zip them accordingly, which technically makes a 1-piece, but I wouldn't mind finding out what they require so I can plan.

Last edited by florida f4i; 09-25-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 PM

P.S. - Did you do the Ed Bargy Racing School, or did you just hit the track and not look back?

I was thinking about doing the school, but I wanted to ask around and see if it's worth it.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by florida f4i
Awesome videos, man.

I'm planning on making the trip to Jennings with (hopefully) my roommate, who may be getting an F4i, too, in the near future, and a good friend of ours, who rides an 06 600RR, early next year (January/February). If you would like to join, that would be awesome.

I have been dying to track the bike, but I figure by then, both myself and she will be prepared (only need a few more misc. gear things, but she still needs a little bit of work), and ready to drag some knee.

Let me know if you think you'll be down. It seems far away, but odds are, it'll be here in no time.

Random question, dunno if you'll know the answer -

Do they allow two-piece suits, or do they need to be one-piece?

I was planning on buying some Dainese pants to go with my jacket and zip them accordingly, which technically makes a 1-piece, but I wouldn't mind finding out what they require so I can plan.
I'm not sure what I'll be doing by then. I'm considering selling the bike to be honest. I can't remember if they allow 2-piece suits or not. I think they do but I would check with their website. Jenningsgp.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F4i at Jennings yesterday...