F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i at Jennings yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I'm not sure what I'll be doing by then. I'm considering selling the bike to be honest. I can't remember if they allow 2-piece suits or not. I think they do but I would check with their website. Jenningsgp.com

They allow two-piece leather and textile suits. I ride with a two-piece leather.

--Paul

Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=Berto;838223]
>>Thanks for the comments and I'm glad everyone likes it! I gotta come clean on the fact that yes it is only my 3rd bike track day but I've done close to 40 in a car so I understand track dynamics. I just need to get comfortable with doing it on a bike.

One thing that surprised me was how well the F4i can do on the track, even with the banana seat. <<

As you probably know, the F4 was Honda's leading racing bike six or seven years ago, so it's track DNA is well established. At the amateur level, 90 percent of this is rider skill. I've seen well-handled SV650s absolutely spank litre banks.

When I was watching your film, I sort of had deja vu. It's common to go through several turns with a good line, everything smooth and fast, then blow the next two, then get back on the line. Even after a hundred laps, it's surprisingly hard to learn track lines consistently.

I don't plan to race, so the reason I ride the track is for fun and to build skill. Tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about riding 140 MPH in long straights, because you have to deal with that braking at the end. And I don't do that on the street. (Except when visiting Europe.)
But I do like to blister through the turns at max effort. Cornering is what it's all about.

My ideal track would be one more technical than Jennings, without the long back straight and just some short straights. Not many of those around, I'm afraid. I'm planning to take the track course later in the fall, I think.

--Paul
Go to Barber then. Not a lot of long straights and every turn has elevation change to it. One of the most technical tracks you'll ride.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure what I'll be doing by then. I'm considering selling the bike to be honest. I can't remember if they allow 2-piece suits or not. I think they do but I would check with their website. Jenningsgp.com
Thinking about upgrading, or getting out of the scene all together?

Originally Posted by Berto
They allow two-piece leather and textile suits. I ride with a two-piece leather.

--Paul
Good to know, thanks.

I'm gonna order those leather pants as soon as possible, then.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Default Suspension

I am not sure if it is the camera or not, but it sure looks like your front is setup for a lightweight rider. I mean, even on the street, I do not even have a single preload line visible, and I weight in at around 190-195 with gear. Looks like you could use more preload.
Just a thought. I imagine that the rear is the same.

That was a funny story about the tires and the guy pitted next to you. I recall a time at Buttonwillow on my TL1000S (not even the R), where I bought some takeoffs from a guy who was racing that weekend on a GSXR750. The tires were "tired" according to the guy, but should be good for a streetbike guy at a trackday. I replaced mine immediately for those I bought off of him due to headshake issues I was having, and later railed past him on the long high speed right hander (on the outside). Felt good too.

Track days rock, though I dont do them anymore since discovering Supermoto (where track days cost $20-$50 and involve much "saner" speeds...

Keep up the good work, and I also like that camera setup...very clear. And while I have not tracked my F4i, I agree that the bike is NOT a limiting factor even in the advanced group -unless you are one of the fast guys in the advanced group, even then, there is a lot to be said about setup and tires.

MW
04 F4i red/black for sale

Last edited by crashmw; 10-02-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:41 PM

awesome video, cant wait to get back on the track

Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by crashmw
I am not sure if it is the camera or not, but it sure looks like your front is setup for a lightweight rider. I mean, even on the street, I do not even have a single preload line visible, and I weight in at around 190-195 with gear. Looks like you could use more preload.
Just a thought. I imagine that the rear is the same.

MW
04 F4i red/black for sale
My pre-load could very well be off. I have no idea how to adjust it nor would I know the proper settings.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:22 PM
tms

Just what I needed to see, I just got a 02 cbr600f4i , will be my track only bike, working on it but I hope to see You at Jennings in couple of months. I am 6' and 220 pounds.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 AM

I have an 03 f4i.I go to Jennings gp atleast 2-4 times a year.I love that track.Not fast,but middle intermediate rider.I have lowered my front 1/2 '' and shimmed my rear shock up 1/2 inch.Makes a big difference on the turns.I live in tampa and a group of us local on a local site go up there alot.Good place to just ride and to meet really fast people from ama and ccs.

turn 13 at Jennings.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Nice, man.

I'm heading there for sure early next year, we'll have to coordinate something and organize a bunch of us to meet up there and have some fun.