F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i at Jennings yesterday...

Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i at Jennings yesterday...

I always see people asking whether or not you can track an F4i. Well, you can.

I went out to Jennings GP yesterday for a track day. Hardly anyone was there, it was almost laughable. In the riders meeting there were like 10 people. lol They started off with 3 run groups. By lunch there were 2 and by 3:00 it was open session the rest of the day, which is where I filmed this stuff.

A little back ground. I started riding at the end of May '08. I've put 10k on my bike since then and this is my first bike. I've done 3 track days, 2 at Jennings, 1 at Road Atlanta so I'm still learning. I really don't ride the street too much anymore because I live in Ocala, FL and it's basically boring.

The bike is a 2004 Honda CBR F4i. It's basically stock with a Two-Brother slip-on, Goldridge stainless steel front brake lines, Galfer front pads, Double Bubble, and speedohealer/GPS corrected so the speeds you see are the real thing. Oh, and it's been repainted. I'm running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires and this was the 3rd day on them. They're wearing great. My best lap time of the day was a 1:34. Suspension is stock and it's probably not even adjusted right although I'm told there is very little you can do to it stock with my weight. I'm 6'2, 216 lbs.

The cool part was former AMA Pro Mike Smith was there. Some guy had hired him to train him and I caught up with him in the trailer reviewing footage. I watched his on-board stuff for awhile studying his lines and it helped me a lot. Mike went screwing around on his ZX-6R for a number of laps and was running consistent 1:20 flats. Pretty damn impressive.

My observations:
-My form to the left is a lot better than to the right. To the right I look like I'm taking a dump or something.
-I need to have my head more off the bike and look more where I'm going and my shoulders need to be down more.
-You hear some scrapping of the pegs and that is only because this was towards the end of the day and I was just getting too tired to really get off the bike.
-I'm braking too early for turn 1
-I'm slow through 3-5 but honestly most of the time I was taking a breather before the back madness.

Anyway, enough talk. Here is some footage. Feel free to criticize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMb7eEsC4Mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShUJnof_JFM

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM

Got more ***** putting it down then i do.. Looks fun.. Good luck on your future track days!!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 PM

wow looking good. Love the second video view point.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Yay Jennings! That's the only track local to us, one of these days I hope to get up there myself.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's simply awesome. The videos aren't just fun to watch, but are a great training tool for you as well; very smart. That's a beautiful track you got there. Thanks for sharing & nice job

Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 AM

Well done, Jeremy. I run Jennings on my F4i once in a while. Great fun. But I've always been in a crowd. Love to do it with no one there.

Some questions: What camera is that? How did you mount it for the front and rear shots. I assume that white cord is a safety line? As for scraping stuff, did you take the curb feelers off the rider pegs? Mine were scraping but that fixed it.

I also have trouble with early braking in turn 1. I think everyone does. Turn 13 and 14 are a challenge, too--right hand sweepers. I'm also less comfortable in rights than lefts. I figured it was because I'm left handed. Dunno.

Nice job. Maybe I'll see you up there sometime.

--Paul

Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I always see people asking whether or not you can track an F4i. Well, you can.

I went out to Jennings GP yesterday for a track day. Hardly anyone was there, it was almost laughable. In the riders meeting there were like 10 people. lol They started off with 3 run groups. By lunch there were 2 and by 3:00 it was open session the rest of the day, which is where I filmed this stuff.

A little back ground. I started riding at the end of May '08. I've put 10k on my bike since then and this is my first bike. I've done 3 track days, 2 at Jennings, 1 at Road Atlanta so I'm still learning. I really don't ride the street too much anymore because I live in Ocala, FL and it's basically boring.

The bike is a 2004 Honda CBR F4i. It's basically stock with a Two-Brother slip-on, Goldridge stainless steel front brake lines, Galfer front pads, Double Bubble, and speedohealer/GPS corrected so the speeds you see are the real thing. Oh, and it's been repainted. I'm running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires and this was the 3rd day on them. They're wearing great. My best lap time of the day was a 1:34. Suspension is stock and it's probably not even adjusted right although I'm told there is very little you can do to it stock with my weight. I'm 6'2, 216 lbs.

The cool part was former AMA Pro Mike Smith was there. Some guy had hired him to train him and I caught up with him in the trailer reviewing footage. I watched his on-board stuff for awhile studying his lines and it helped me a lot. Mike went screwing around on his ZX-6R for a number of laps and was running consistent 1:20 flats. Pretty damn impressive.

My observations:
-My form to the left is a lot better than to the right. To the right I look like I'm taking a dump or something.
-I need to have my head more off the bike and look more where I'm going and my shoulders need to be down more.
-You hear some scrapping of the pegs and that is only because this was towards the end of the day and I was just getting too tired to really get off the bike.
-I'm braking too early for turn 1
-I'm slow through 3-5 but honestly most of the time I was taking a breather before the back madness.

Anyway, enough talk. Here is some footage. Feel free to criticize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMb7eEsC4Mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShUJnof_JFM
of the topic..but is that a frank thomas xti pant or suit? how is it? i was planning on buying that

Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Nice!! I saw some errors on some of the sweeps and turns, but hey....you're still light years ahead of me any day so who am I to critique?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking pretty good for only your 3rd track day Jeremy...nice job!

Last edited by hondajunkie; 09-16-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 PM

This is a great video. I really wanna get to the track one day.

Thanks for sharing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F4i at Jennings yesterday...