F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Fuel Capacity Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
but you are missing the part where he said theres really no gas visible in the tank after the reserve goes off. Id myself would rather not going empty backroading or in town.. that could do some damage.

The fuel is hard to see after you burn off a gallon or two because of the way the tank is shaped, the majority of the volume holding capacity is low.

If he is getting 36mpg than he can at least go 150 miles, unless his tank is either filled in, or it magically begins to siphon fuel off after he burns two gallons.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you fill up your tank,sit on the bike and get it upright,pull back the boot from the nozzle and fill it to the top.You'll be surprised to see how much more fuel you can get in it than if it were on the kick stand only.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
When you open the gas cap, and look inside the hole, you'll see a thin metal bar that goes across the opening. You can fill it up to that point.
+1

Before trying other things, fill it up to the brim and let it run over. That will determine if you get your 4.6gals.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 PM

When I filled up today, I put 4.1 gallons in. I stay my bike, keeping it level and fill to the bar.

If you are filling to the top and can only put 2 gal in, it's time for a experiment. Ride till it is 116 mile mark (3 gallons of gas) then with a chase car with a five gallon can of fuel, continue to ride and see how far you get. Fill up and you should be able to fit almost the whole thing. If not, someone put a smaler tank on your bike for some reason.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 PM

Ok here is my input....
I had a similar problem with my f4i, however you have not mentioned anything about filling it up too much to the point of fuel overflowing out of the tube.

I could only get about 2 gallons of gas into the tank and then 50 miles later I would fuel up, only 2 gallons. My bike was also having fuel issues when running WOT around 9-10,000rpms.

When I drained the fuel tank I reached my hand up into the tank to find a hole in the metal overflow tube(pipe) Inside the gas tank. I patched it and it fixed my fuel capacity problem and my rpms are perfect when WOT around 9-10,000rpms and I can get up to 13,000 now.

Here is my thread
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/fueling-issue-94736/

if this helps or sounds more similar to your problem Pm me.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm taking her for a nice long ride this weekend and I'll push it past 100 and take another look into the tank. Like most of you are saying, the tank is shaped weird so it's hard to look in. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or I'm blind. But either way, I'm pretty sure my reserve is off. It shouldn't be going off at 80. I've also constantly opened my gas tank after several miles and the gas level is where it should be. The tank seems normal so it's almost certain that it's a reserve problem now. I'll let you guys know what happens. Lol and yea, first thing I tried was to stand the bike up to fill. Wasn't a BIG difference, but still added a little.

s1ck, you said you were getting 50 miles to 2 gallons? I don't think it's a hole in my in a tube. I'm getting decent mileage. After a fill up and the bike was parked, was there gas leaking from your bike? I don't see any gas leaking from mine. My bike runs perfect at all rpms. Haha don't judge, but I've brought her up to 155 before. With gear, no cars, and on a straight of course.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by co0k1ez
Lol and yea, first thing I tried was to stand the bike up to fill. Wasn't a BIG difference, but still added a little.
I did the same thing when I first got my bike - figured that if I stood it up I could get more in and it was hardly any difference.

I also had a similar experience when I first got it in that I looked in the tank, couldn't see anything and figured it was empty - went straight to the gas station and it only took about 2.5 gallons, that was when I realized the shape of the tank and resultant holding capacity was more drastic than it looks at first glance.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by co0k1ez
s1ck, you said you were getting 50 miles to 2 gallons? I don't think it's a hole in my in a tube. I'm getting decent mileage. After a fill up and the bike was parked, was there gas leaking from your bike?
I would get 50(maybe 60)miles out of the bike once the reserve came on...i didn't risk it so I filled it up(1.7gallons)

I could only put about 1.7 gallons in...anything more would overflow out the bottom. so with about 2.7 gallons in the tank, I could REACH my finger in and barely touch the fuel level.

So moral of story my friends hated when I had to fill up after 50 miles
Good luck, let us know what you discover

Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM

So after a weekend of hard riding, this is what I concluded. I filled up right before I rode to the top. And I drove about 85 before the reserve hit. I pulled over when the reserve light was flashing completely and checked inside. This time with a flashlight to get a better view. There was a lot more gas then I expected. Ran it to 120 and checked again and saw just a little left. I'm thinking it's a reserve problem so I'll get that replaced asap. Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run a bottle of Techron Concentrate through the tank first. It says it can help with fuel sensor problems. Mix it to 1oz. per gal. ratio (5oz. per tank), so you'll have five full tanks with one bottle; worth a try anyways.

Quick Reply: F4i Fuel Capacity Help