F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fueling issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling issue

I got my f4i a few weeks ago and still trying to get use to everything. There is one issue im having I don't know what the deal is. After searching I have not found an answer. heres the sitch:

When reserve gas bars come on you have about 1 gallon of gas left, right. I fill up until it clicks. Witch is around 1.5-2 gallons depending on how long I ride with the lights on. I tried to fill more than that, like today. To see how much more I can fit, I put it 2.345 gallons today and it started overflowing out of the overflow tube. I could stick my finger in the gas tank and get close to if not touching the fuel. I couldn't tell you how much overflowed it looks like a lot but I dont could be a 1/4th or could be a whole gallon.

Now when I would fill up the 1.5 gallons. I could get about 40-50 miles on that then my reserve bars would come on.

let me know what you think. One thing that has been done the previous owner said, was a new fuel pump.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:31 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Something is weird with your tank. When I fill up, the gas goes all the way up to that small metal bar that you can see just below the gas cap. If I were you, I'd empty and remove the tank and fiddle around to see if I could source a problem.

Also I don't know what you mean by saying you fill it up until it "clicks". I've never heard a noise when filling up my tank that I can recall.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 AM

he is talking about when the handle clicks off because of the gas flowing back into the nozzle, but yeah you should be able to fill your tank up to that metal bar, you definitely got something wrong in there.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by way2s1ck
I got my f4i a few weeks ago and still trying to get use to everything. There is one issue im having I don't know what the deal is. After searching I have not found an answer. heres the sitch:

When reserve gas bars come on you have about 1 gallon of gas left, right. I fill up until it clicks. Witch is around 1.5-2 gallons depending on how long I ride with the lights on. I tried to fill more than that, like today. To see how much more I can fit, I put it 2.345 gallons today and it started overflowing out of the overflow tube. I could stick my finger in the gas tank and get close to if not touching the fuel. I couldn't tell you how much overflowed it looks like a lot but I dont could be a 1/4th or could be a whole gallon.

Now when I would fill up the 1.5 gallons. I could get about 40-50 miles on that then my reserve bars would come on.

let me know what you think. One thing that has been done the previous owner said, was a new fuel pump.

you might have over filled it past the mettal rim? other then that do what AKEN said and take it off and look.

Originally Posted by Aken
Something is weird with your tank. When I fill up, the gas goes all the way up to that small metal bar that you can see just below the gas cap. If I were you, I'd empty and remove the tank and fiddle around to see if I could source a problem.

Also I don't know what you mean by saying you fill it up until it "clicks". I've never heard a noise when filling up my tank that I can recall.

he is putting gas nozzle all the way in the tank, he just needs to pull it out.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Ya, you can not fill your tank with the nozzle all the way in the tank. You have to squeeze lightly and hold it at the opening. I generally rest it on the metal bar that is at the opening. 4 gallons is a fill up for me.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cman9toes
Ya, you can not fill your tank with the nozzle all the way in the tank. You have to squeeze lightly and hold it at the opening. I generally rest it on the metal bar that is at the opening. 4 gallons is a fill up for me.
Same here.

I usually hold the gas nozzle at an angle to get the most in, and then slightly close the lid so none splashes up and out.

Our gas tanks aren't like cars, where you can just stick it in and go to town.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM

I end up holding the gas nozzle with my right hand on the trigger, and then use my left hand to hold up the collar so the gas will flow without having the entire thing jammed in the tank. That way you can watch how much gas goes in and not overflow.

Not at all like a car where you stick it in, click the trigger in and let it do its thing by itself!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM

Ya something is defiantly weird. To clear everything up on how Im filling. I put it in there until the pump clicks off. Because that is the safe point on where it wont drain out of the overflow.

Then I test the waters: I pull back the rubber part with my left hand, squeeze the trigger with my right hand. slowly add. I don't add much because i look like an idiot when I have fuel under the bike, and its not safe when its dripping out.

I know you guys said you fill them right up to the metal bar. I cant even get that far with out it overflowing. Like I said right now I can stick my pointer finger in and barely touch the fuel, thats if I wiggle my finger.

Also something to add, It drips a lot more when it is leaning on the kickstand then when I hold it upright. It also drips a lot less when im riding(even though its not safe) I was at low speed in front of my house just testing.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the gas nozzle have a vapor recovery boot on it?If so I suggest you pull it back with your hand and fill it up to the metal ring.Some gas stations here in Cali.aren't meant for you to just shove the nozzle in on a bike.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Either way, guys, something is weird with his tank. Once he hit reserves, he should be able to get around 3.5 gallons pumped in. But it's overflowing much earlier.

Quick Reply: Fueling issue