F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i cosmetic/performance bike makeover (a diary)...(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F4i cosmetic/performance bike makeover (a diary)...(PICS)

Very interested in the street glow install, I just polished the shjt out of everything (wheels, swingarm, frame, rear sets, etc) and want to get some type of lighting to accent it. Very good thread BTW.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Where did you get the parts for the fgarage opener. I have one of the keychain openers right now, but it's always a pain to look down and find the right button.Your's looks perfect.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Users

Radioshack...lol....it's my favorite place sometimes (was a computer engineer)....

i think everything cost me all of $10 max and that was with buying new shrink tubing and more wire....just make sure you get a "momentary" switch, not a toggle.....the LED i have on there is there only for when i need to check battery strength, as one person pointed out, the viewing angle is very limited...i just put it there becuase i didn't tie the opener to the bike battery, so i needed to be able to somehow check if the batteries were still good without taking it apart....but yeah, it's worked like a charm...

thanks...if you need more info, let me know...

Old 09-14-2007, 03:00 PM

hey good thread
i have the same bike as you but between school and work i cant upgrade like u are
but i love the undertail kit you put on, i just got it and love it
also another cheap way to do the winshield would be to tint it
thats wat i did to mine

Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Users

Alright....update 9/20/07....
I just got word that all my parts will be coming in tomorrow....that means...

- my ceramic coated exhaust
- black powdered rearsets
- black powdered pass. pegs
- black powdered stator/clutch cover
- black powdered brake clamps

will all be coming in....i am going to start assembly on this on saturday....my buddy is bringing his NICE camera to take pics of things so i will go into a little more detail in the reassembly of everything....

i am not going to take pics of the reassembly of the individual pieces...e.g. the rearsets and pegs...IF you want these pictures, speak now....for as tomorrow night, i will be assembling them in order to be put back on the bike....

FURTHER...IF you want to see anything in particular detail....e.g. putting on the stator/clutch cover, installing the pegs, installing the rearsets, installing the exhaust....LET ME KNOW BEFORE SATURDAY 9/22/07 as after that it will be too late....

FINALLY, this is also a note that I will be putting on my LED body lighting this weekend....i am going to try and do a detailed write-up on it....because i know a lot of people wonder....once again...IF you want to know anything specific as I do it....let me know....

alright....get ready....big changes a comin....(i can't wait, i haven't ridden in like 3 weeks!!!)

Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 AM

a quick how to on the stator cover would be nice, I'm thinking of powdercoaitng mine. Can't wait to see all your after pics...good call on the NICE camera this time.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:06 AM

the garage door opener thing is very cool man. pretty ingenuitive. I've got a suggestion you should do and then document so it will be easier for me to do on my f4i hehe [8D]. order a dual filament HID light kit with ballasts and bulbs in 6000k-8000k on ebay and then put it on your bike so that low and high beams are functional under each lens. i saw a kit for a car with the bulb and ballasts go for about $100. i noticed you said you're a computer guy that likes radioshack and i personally suck with wiring things.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Users

Ace....i thought about doing something like that and actually looked into....what i found is that the dual filaments don't work with the existing wiring...i suppose i could figure out a way to make it work, but that would be A LOT of wiring...

additionally, i have read about some HIDs being too hot for the casing and melting it....i am pretty sure dual filaments were the culprit, i don't necessarily know how HIDs function, so i am not sure why....the other problem with that i heard is that both bulbs are the same in the f4i....the only thing that makes the high beam high is the way the reflector casing is made, IF that is the case, no matter what bulb you put in the casing, it will seem high, even if you have a dual filament for high beams....

i don't know though...when i get everything done i am working on, i will look into....right now my office has been destroyed with parts, fairings, etc. lying around and my wife is not to happy about...lol...so i have to clean everything up before i tackle a new project...but i will research and see what i find...

Old 09-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: Cosmetic bike makeover (a diary)...(PICS c'min)

ORIGINAL: ffingers

Stealth Garage Door Opener

Ranking of project 1-10 (10 being worst):
Cost: 2 - very cheap
Difficulty: 4 -
not very hard, should know SOME wiring, requires removing upper vent (easy)
Functionality: 1 -
easily the best bang for the buck mod i have done yet
Visuals: 4 -
sort of cool that it can't be seen...overall, not really a visual element at all
Time: 5 - if you know wiring, quick, if not longer...about 45 min.
Overall: 4 - ...REALLY cheap mod...and is extremely functional....

the first mod i did was integrate my garage door opener into the upper vent cover....i hated carrying around my opener and i had lost one already while riding (yeah i know, i'm stupid)....so i spent about $10 in parts and put this on my bike...it's stealthy so most people don't even notice it and it works like a charm...not a single issue since i put it in....i also didn't wire it to the battery so when i remove the upper vent cover, the whole thing comes off, making it easy to work on if i need to and without the extra hassle of running a ton of wires....

here are some pics.....sorry for the crappy pics there were on my cell at the time, i will work on putting up nicer ones

here's an "outside" view

sweet now all i have to do is find you in Chicago and i get a free bike ! lol im jk

Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: Cosmetic bike makeover (a diary)...(PICS c'min)

lol....well.....you'd have to get INTO my garage first as that is where it is kept...haha.....

Quick Reply: F4i cosmetic/performance bike makeover (a diary)...(PICS)