F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i 2002 Rough idling, cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy F4i 2002 Rough idling, cutting out

HI all,

Just bought my first bike, the CBR600 F4i! Unfortunately there is a problem - the engine idle is rough, and cuts out, and it's the same when accelerating up until around 3-4K, then it smooths out and feels OK.
I've tried to adjust the idle, but it's either rough, or simply too high, as it only runs smooth(ish) at around 3k, which is way too high?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Old 08-31-2019, 09:57 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Fuel pressure regulators are pretty common to leak amd cause issues. What shape is the bike in? It could have a vacuum line off or a bad connection at a coil or something. Have you checked the plugs or done anything to start diagnosis?

Old 09-02-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Fuel pressure regulators are pretty common to leak amd cause issues. What shape is the bike in? It could have a vacuum line off or a bad connection at a coil or something. Have you checked the plugs or done anything to start diagnosis?
Hi 74demon, it's been sat in garage for the past 4 - 5 years, I know it wasn't really abused before that either, as the old owner was a bit scared of it and the one before, whom I know too, is a rather placid type as well. I am no expert by any means, and with this being my first big bike, I can honestly say that I did not really check it mechanically before buying, apart from visual and feeling the suspension. It looks really decent given it's completely stock and all original fairings are still ok. It starts without a problem too, it's just that it idles rough and kinda boggs under 3k when accellerating. The battery is new. I have a friend who is a bit of an expert, but he is away until the end of September and I am eager to get on it before the weather deteriorates Was hoping for a quick and easy fix, like a loose wire, but having read some treads on forums it looks like I may have to arm myself with patience, unless I spend some money and go to a garage to get it checked properly! I got the Haynes book as well, but it looks like most of fuel related components are sat under the tank, and I am not too keen on having a go at removing it myself. BTW, there are no FI faults showing on the dash. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Leaving a bike sit brings other issues into play. Is the fuel old? Did it sit with old fuel in the injectors? Rodents get to it and chew on something? FPR diaphragm can leak from sitting too.

Also, you need to bring things up to date to make it safe. Change ALL of the fluids. Oil, fuel, coolant, brake, and fork (and check or replace the seals), lube and adjust the chain (check every link for freeplay or seizing).Tires will need to be replaced due to age. Old tires are super dangerous....

If lifting the tank is above your mechanical abilities, take it to a shop and spend the money having someone qualified make it as safe as it can be. Don't be cheap when your life is at stake.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would personally throw some injector cleaner in it, if it sat with fuel in it.
I personally really like Seafoam that stuff does a great job of cleaning up. I use it as a stabilizer in the winter as well.
start with the cheap and easy first.

As for the bogging under 3k , that is an F4i.
I mean if there is an idle problem and the bogging is REALLY pronounced then it may help out when you get that sorted
but these things dont really make any power until after 3k (and none worth mentioning until around 7k)
so the bogging you are experiencing might just be normal behavior and not really a symptom of a problem.

Again , without knowing how much "bogging" I cant say for sure. but they are gutless in that RPM range to begin with.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:48 AM

Hey guys, thank you for your advice, I decided to order service parts and plugs to start with, I'm waiting for a frien of mine to come back from holiday and plan to ask him to help, as he has years of experience fixing bikes. Well check all of the above in 2 wks time, I'll post the oitcome. BTW by bogging, I meant that the engine acts as if it was choking (like it cuts out for split sec, then goes, as if it hesitated), until it gets to around 3- 3,5 krevs. I hope this makes more sense?

Anyway thanks again, I'll keep y'all posted.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by F4i4ever
As for the bogging under 3k , that is an F4i.
Your on crack. The F4i has more low end power then any other modern sportbike I've ridden. I can lug it down to 1500rpm, whack the throttle and it cleanly pulls with no surging or bucking. It doesn't bog, it just starts accelerating. My wifes 06 600rr, my 08 600rr, and my 2015 1000RR all can't do that.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cracks too expensive, I'll stick with WD40 lol.

Maybe mines got too many miles on it . If i just whack the throttle there is a definite hesitation.
bogging may be a strong term for it but its definitely not as snappy as some of the other 600s ive ridden. Ive only ridden one other F4i, it didn't seem much stronger in the bottom end.
My sons R6 and my brothers RR both seem to have a little more punch from a stop. I just chalked it up to weight difference.
Once she hits 7k, and 11 -12k , she pulls like a train.

Anyway, Kromal , hope you get it sorted, It still may be worth throwing some cleaner in the next tank of gas while you wait for your buddy to get back.
Definitely let us know how you make out either way.