F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CBR600f uneven jumpy idle

Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Default CBR600f uneven jumpy idle

Hello everyone,

I just bought CBR600f 2001 and it's lovely only has 10000 on the clock. The owner did not ride it much over past 5 years he only did 900 miles and it's been sitting in a garage for the last 10 months before I bought it.

Now there is a small issue with engine not running evenly, at higher speeds it's hard to tell but at lower ones and idle you can feel it. I've got a video of the idle:
and you can see the bike idles at 1000rpm but keeps jumping to 1100rpm which when riding at lower speed is very annoying.

This is my first fuel injected bike but it does not seem right. Any ideas what could be the possible issue?
Thank you

Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 PM
"A"

If the fuel inside the tank is over 10 months old.. that could cause the rough idle.

Check inside of tank if there is rust, fuel filter may be clogged, injectors maybe dirty..

If the fuel tank has zero rust inside, run a full tank of fresh fuel mixed with SeaFoam, then refuel with fresh fuel, see if that improves with the rough idle.

BTW, idle doesn't sound right in the video.. little more detail may help diagnose the problem.. air temperature, cold or warm engine, air/fuel filter check, etc..

Last edited by "A"; 03-19-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 AM

I feel quite disheartened, I rode my new bike in to work this morning and I did not enjoy it at all It was an awful experience.

Anything below 3500rmp the bike is jumpy/lumpy and juddery, it tries to lurch forward and then stops. It made for a very unpleasant ride.

4000rmp and up it was beautiful, tons of power and all was smooth. I think it might a vacuum leak or something, it feels like the engine is trying to adjust/compensate for something.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 AM
"A"

Originally Posted by John24ssj View Post
I feel quite disheartened, I rode my new bike in to work this morning and I did not enjoy it at all It was an awful experience.

Anything below 3500rmp the bike is jumpy/lumpy and juddery, it tries to lurch forward and then stops. It made for a very unpleasant ride.

4000rmp and up it was beautiful, tons of power and all was smooth. I think it might a vacuum leak or something, it feels like the engine is trying to adjust/compensate for something.
Running or riding the bike without checking fuel tank for rust can ruin your fuel pump, injectors and possibly worse.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Running or riding the bike without checking fuel tank for rust can ruin your fuel pump, injectors and possibly worse.
I looked in the tank with a flash-light and it's absolutely spotless, no rust or dirt.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM
"A"

Do you put fresh fuel in tank with fuel injector cleaner?
Fuel injector cleaner usually render rough running engine if fuel residue is running through fuel system.
Vacuum leak could also be contributing factor, 16+ y-o vacuum lines, fuel lines are bound to crack sooner or later.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Do you put fresh fuel in tank with fuel injector cleaner?
Fuel injector cleaner usually render rough running engine if fuel residue is running through fuel system.
Vacuum leak could also be contributing factor, 16+ y-o vacuum lines, fuel lines are bound to crack sooner or later.
Yes I did fill up on fresh fuel and added Seafoam to the fuel but only done 6 miles to work. I will try to give it a better ride and faster speeds. Will report back.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Took the bike home but this time I went on a dual carriage way then motorway and it was absolutely lovely. Did 80mph even 90mph and no hesitation or anything at all from the bike and everything was super smooth.

But the moment you go down to lower speed and below 4000rpm the bike was jumpy

Not sure if to just take it to Honda garage or try to check it myself.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 AM

Have you tried putting new spark plugs in? it sounds like one or more cylinders are cutting in and out.. could just be fouled spark plugs from sitting so long. Start at the simple things

Old 03-24-2017, 04:21 AM

Tomorrow I will remove the fairings and fuel tank with the air box and inspect all hoses as well as check the spark plugs. Also some people suggested that this could be caused by bad coil any idea what the resistance should be for these coils?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CBR600f uneven jumpy idle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.