General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR unused for 4 Years, Full of Fluids - What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR unused for 4 Years, Full of Fluids - What to Do?

I've got a CBR that I've not ridden in 4 years due to an unexpected change in circumstances and income. Unfortunately due to the unexpected nature I never emptied out all the fluids. It was stored at the end of the season with the battery removed, a full tank of gas with stabilzier added and pretty much nothing else.

How do I tell if my fuel is varnished or is it a foregone conclusion at this point? I looked in the tank and felt the exposed metal surfaces and can feel no gummyness or can see nothing unusual - although I don't know what varnished fuel looks like.

Is there anything I should do before starting it up for the first time such as replacing the fuel, purging fuel lines, cleaning the injectors, doing work on suspension components or replacing the oil to prevent damage?

Thanks

Numpty!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

If you had stabilizer in there it might be ok.

I'd probably pull the fuel line off and let some gas run out and see what it looks like and/or if anything comes out that looks 'odd'. If it seems ok, put a fresh fuel filter inline and see what happens.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I'd ditch the old stuff - also change the oil and filters - check your front fork deals
- maybe drain and change the coolant - throughly clean and lube the chain and lastly
a nice fresh new fully charged battery -also check your brake fluid makes sure it's not
medium to dark brown and full of moisture

Last edited by Sprock; 05-06-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

If it were me, I wouldn't even try using the fuel. 4 years is a long time. Dump the fuel and flush the fuel lines/rail. Hard to say if the injectors will be gummed up or not. I'd put in SeaFoam with the first tank of gas you run through it. The other things that have been mentioned here should be done as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, change all of the fluids. Gas, oil, coolant, and brake. Run Seafoam or a can of Chevron Techron through the first couple of tanks of fuel.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Inspect the tires! Rotted out, dry rotted, and cracked old tired are dangerous. The rubber can also get hard and slippery. Check them closely!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll change out the fluids, filters add some sea foam to the new fuel and probably put on new tires because they don't look too sharp.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Originally Posted by 74demon
Inspect the tires! Rotted out, dry rotted, and cracked old tired are dangerous. The rubber can also get hard and slippery. Check them closely!

+++++++1 I found out my tires had expired back in 07 scary I know.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM

I'm cool with changing the oil and coolant but I've never drained the fuel system and in the maintenance manual I have, there doesn't seem to be anything on what to do in order to drain and flush the fuel system.

When I stored the bike for the season I turned off the fuel tank valve and let it run until the fuel in the lines was used so maybe don't have to go over board with the flush?

Anybody got any tips or links for draining the fuel system?

Thanks

Steve

Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

pull the fuel line off and aim it into a gas can and open the valve. that should get most of it. id put a gallon of fresh gas in it, then open the valve again to flush out what is in the bottom. (then dump it all in a car). fresh fuel and go.....

Quick Reply: CBR unused for 4 Years, Full of Fluids - What to Do?