F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

EBC aftermarket rotors

Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC aftermarket rotors

i have some ebc rotors on my 04 f4i but still have the stock honda pads...
they always squeak and squeal, sometimes they even make a sort of grinding sound at low speeds and light brake application
took it back to honda who installed the rotors, the tech inspected it for anything out of the ordinary and said that they were fine....
he later told me that the stock pads have metal in them and were probably making the noise in the softer than stock metal in the ebc's
anyone had this problem with ebc or any aftermarket rotors???
the tech told me i can swap the pads for ebc ones that may help but the ones on there now thave plenty of life in them only like 3100 miles on the bike, what should i do it seems stupid to change them if they have lots of life
any ideas

Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Default RE: EBC aftermarket rotors

i took the pads out today to inspect them and the surfaces were kind of pitted and were missing certain litlle pieces
they looked like crap so im going to get some new ones, so if it helps
any tips to prep the rotors there brand new, maybe hit em with some 180 grit sand paper and clean with cleaner??
sound ok?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Leave the rotors alone. The noise is normal and yes the pads are metallic compound. Metallic pads + metal rotor + holes that cut into pad as they sweep over them = grinding noise.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:14 AM

If you are going to a sintered pad (pad with little metal pieces) you want to get all the old material out of the rotor. A light touch with some sand paper (just scuff them you're trying to get the old particles out not remove material from the rotor). Just press the paper firmly against the rotor and spin the wheel by hand. The new pads need to break into the rotor. They won't do that on a rotor that is already glazed in from older pads. Afterwards spray the rotors down good with brake cleaner to remove the dust and finger prints. Give your new pads about 60 - 100 miles to break in in city driving. You shouldn't notice too much noise after the break in. They may squeak a bit at first. My race bike gets nothing but ebc pads. I love em. They last pretty good and they don't seem to break apart like some others I've used.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered Users

sanding rotor's? never heard of that....and how does stuff get inside of the metal disk? I alway's just slapped the new pad's on and diddnt ask a lot out of them for a tank of gas or two[8D]

Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 PM

yeah thats a great idea! thanks for your input guys
the ebc pads are like 35 a set getting them soon
ill let you know how it turns out

thanks again for the help
radvoem