F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 vs Michelin Pilot Road 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jveach
I think this is what he meant, also the tire I posted about in earlier post.

Click link: Michelin Power Pure Tires - Z-Rated - Package Specials from SportbikeTrackGear.com

or click the other link I posted to ebay. Same tire. It's called Michelin Power Pure
Yea that's what I figured, just wanted to clarify. Which michelin is comparable to the q2 I'm looking at this review 2010 Street Motorcycle Tire Comparison - Motorcycle USA and it seems they are comparing this one Michelin Motorcycle Tires? So I guess the power pure boredandstroked mentioned, shown here Michelin Motorcycle Tires is a harder compound for better tread life than the q2 or power one.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
I love my Q2's. I've got about 5,000 miles on my set right now. Probably will get another 1500 to 2k out of my rear, the front I'd say at least another 4k to 5k miles.
I'm in the same boat as this statement. I do notice the center of my rear tire is starting to get pretty flat from doing mostly HWY and Freeway driving. While the edges of my rear still have tons of life left. My one friend has sport touring tires on his Ninja and were laughing cause he is riding on the very edges of his rear tire. Were in by no means great riders dragging knees around every corner. Hes going back to a performance tire this spring cause its better to not use the whole tire then to run out of tire if you need it on a hard corner.

Moses

Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

When riding track and street the Pures and Q2's are great choices. If all you're doing is street riding (canyons) I'd suggest the 2CT's or Qualifiers. You'll have plenty of grip, better in the wet, and probably cheaper with a bit longer life.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 PM

i had qualifers on mine, wore the centres out pretty quickly i`ve not long fitted a set of dunlop sportsmarts and find them just as grippy as the qualifers..

Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Either tire he listed can do that, stock pegs hit very easy.

OP- your comparing two very different tires. The Q2 is dunlops max effort street performance tire while the road 3's are michelins high mileage sport touring tire. The Q2 is comparable to michelins pilot pure tire. I am a huge pure fan and can't recommend them enough to people. They handle track days, canyon runs, and daily commutes. I put 10,000 miles on the rear and 15,000 on the front of my last set along with a couple track days at fast B group pace. No other tire will do that.

Stock pegs are terrible!! My F4i racebike is running stock F4i brackets with stubby pegs on 1.25" risers and I still scrape on some of the faster turns at the track. I need to work on my body positioning some more I gather.
Risers are a MUST add-on for a serious F4i rider who wants to go fast. Stock is waaaaaay to low.

I've run Pirelli Slicks, Super Corsa's in SC compound, Pilot Powers 2CT's, BT-016 and Q2's on my F4i, all with good success. I liked the Pirelli superbike slicks the most - fresh off warmers muahah!! For the street, the Power 2CT's lasted the longest while still providing part scrapping fun. The Q2's didn't last as long.. I was never a fan of the BT-016 shape and feel. Never inspired me.