F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Commuting.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commuting.

I'm a cook at a busy resturaunt (45min wait during rush every weekday) and want to ride my bike to work, otherwise it's just sitting in my garage often since I sleep when I'm at home then work otherwise. I have a disc lock and, of course, I always engage the steering lock when I park it, but I'm still really nervous I'll come outside and my bike won't be there.

Is it a bad idea, since it's a parking lot with lots of turnover and thieves could come in lift it and leave without notice? Or are there any ways I could insure my bike from just being lifted into a truck?

I was thinking bring a chain into work in my car, and leave it there with my boss' permission, then either chain it to a pole or park next to the garbage cage and chain it to that; however, most chains could just be broken with clippers anyway so that seems like a useless defense.

Any advice helps, thanks

Old 08-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Commuting.

bottom line is if they really want to steal your bike they can however you can make it harder for them.

chain is alright but as you mentioned they can be cut easily. SInce you work there isnt there maybe somewhere around back you could park it that other places dont have axx to like inside a gate?
parking it in a very visible place that you can check on frequently?
other than that there are bike alarms (could scare the theievs away) as well as doing all of the above mentioned

Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 PM

i wish, since it's a resturaunt it's all a public parking lot. I'd park it infront of the patio because people might see people lifting it into a truck and be suspicious. But I was countered by a friend who said they/anyone would assume "poor guy's bike broke down" rather then "they're stealing it".

Is that paging alarm advertisement on the right of this page good, it'd be good if I was working and could just run out there when the pager went off to bust some ***.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:16 PM

The Scorpio alarm is probably the best option for your situation. It will page you if someone is f...ing with your bike.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 PM

i prolly wouldnt think "poor guys bike broke down" if they were cuttin a chain lol, but ya that scorpio alram sounds good