F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Trim the Fat

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim the Fat

wow that mudguard is ugly. anyone have any tips on chopping it? like how far up i should cut it? i was thinking about cutting it so that i can mount the license plate right below the key to unlock the back seat. i know that there is probably a wire for the license plate light that im going to have to deal with but am i going to run into any wires for the turn signals or anything? is it ok to cut that wire for the license plate light or can i just disconnect it and cap it off? i know its kind of a ghetto rig for now but it will work until i can save up some money for a kit. thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Default RE: Trim the Fat

i cut mine up pretty far before i put my undertail on to just get rid of the whole thing. you do not want to cut the wire. you can kinda tell in this picture, i know that it is a bad photoshop on the you will get te point about the fender.

if need anyother help let me know

Old 08-08-2006, 12:19 PM

That is about as high as you want to go without installing new signals and relocating the lock.

Also, I am not sure how the vehicle enforcement is around you, but DOT specifies that you have to keep the red reflector. So if you need to be legal you may want to rig up a way to stick the reflector under the plate.

I have an undertail so to keep it DOT legal I got some red reflective tape from Autozone and cut a piece the size of the reflector and stuck in on the forward edge of the undertail. It is the same height as the stocker, but it's in front of the tire. You can only see it when directly behind me, and not at all if you are standing up.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM

thanks for the quick responses guys. gt2nv it looks like you relocated your stock light. how tough was this? i have a little bit of handy man experience but i just dont want to screw up any leads to the turn signals or anything. thanks again

Old 08-09-2006, 02:13 AM

it actually was not that bad at all. i just measured it and taped it off. then cut. i put an undertail on now, that was just not high enough. if you need more help let me know.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:40 AM

cut it as much as you can but i went with this, http://store.58cycle.com/product_p/tk%20f4i%2004-05.htm , and as soon as you got the money i would go with something similar or an undertail, the only problem with the one i got is the slot cut in it for the trunk release assembly is at a bad angle and the cable falls out but i filed a new slot and all is good now... oh and you do got to cut some of your trunk out to install it

Old 08-09-2006, 04:21 AM

Here's a pic of how I did it. Now, it's kind of a ghetto rig, but at the time nobody had an '06 undertail in blue. I just ordered one and am expecting it soon. I also cut a hole in the plate for key access. The two red reflectors are the plate mounts and I also wired in an LED light for the plate light.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/39995F3745E240968B101FC39FDE56E5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 AM

I took a dremel to all of mine to the line where the actual tray is and followed around the sides and around the strap hooks. Have a single bolt holfing the plate on so I can swing it to reveal the lock for the seat. Then cut a 1"x3" hole in the bottom of the taillight for a plate light. Works beautiful.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 AM

wow guys thanks for all of the advice. kind of glad that i didnt get around to doing it yesterday as i have some more ideas now. [sm=crossbonesgif.gif] probably going to give it a shot on friday since im off work (as long as i dont ride all day.) thanks again for all of the great advice and ill put a pic up and let you all know how it worked out once i get around to it.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't do the "hack" job. Because that's exactly what it looks like. Spend the $100 on the competition werkes fender eliminator. You won't regret it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1578/DE0F843E2DD94378AA31FB20D24B9EAE.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Trim the Fat