F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

chip module upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip module upgrade???

what do you guys think of a chip module for an f4i? im thinking of getting the bootleg shorty pipe and changing my stock sprocket to a vortex 520 and adding a chip module...what kinda performance are we looking at with these changes?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: chip module upgrade???

there really aren't "chips" per se for bikes....i think what you mean is getting something like a power commander....which remaps your FI for better response....the upgrades you are talking about aren't actually going to change your "power"....rather...the bootleg pipe (which i have) will MAYBE give you a little more oompf ...but not a ton....not like it's going to add HP or anything....and the vortex 520...unless you change the actual tooth count...all you are doing is reducing unsprung weight meaning just a little weight loss which once again, unless you are racing, you aren't going to feel....

if you drop a tooth in the front or up a few in the rear...then you will notice performance changes...either quicker accel/lower top speed...or higher top speed/lower accel depending on how you re-gear....

also a power commander will give you better throttle response making it smoother throughout the RPM range...however with the mods you are thinking...only a custom tune will probably get the best results...the existing maps, from what i hear, don't do a lot with minor mods...

bottom line...if you REALLY want to change the horsepower on the thing...you will need to start doing stuff like engine mods and full race exhaust meaning headers and pipe....

hope that helps....

but trust me...unless you are really a seasoned rider looking to be on the track all the time...the f4i doesn't need more power...it's plenty powerful on it's on....

Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM

i looked into getting a power commander but i ran across a chip module on ebay.............here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...spagenameZWD1V

i was wondering if anyone else heard of this"chip module" and has ever used it

Old 12-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: CBRaholic

i looked into getting a power commander but i ran across a chip module on ebay.............here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...spagenameZWD1V

i was wondering if anyone else heard of this"chip module" and has ever used it
Dude, Dont even bother with something like this. This is got to be one of the biggest scams I have ever seen. I have a friend who just bought this for his truck (without talking to me first) and go burned. Thisdoes absolutely nothing.

Think about it. $30 = more HP. BULLSH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Users

yeah...all that thing claims to do is adjust your air/fuel ratio which i can pretty much guess is not done in a way that will help your enginge longevity...

it talks about messin with your ECU....trust me, if it was that easy to gain 13 HP which in terms of a bike is a TON...everyone would be doing it and they wouldn't be charging $30....there's a reason the power commander is almost $300...because it works and even still, you aren't going to see 13 HP gains from JUST hooking up a power commander which remaps your fuel injection...

bottom line, that is a scam and a half...there aren't "chips" for bikes...all there really is are PCIII with maps....custom map if you want to maximize the power...on a 600cc bike...with a slip, maybe an air filter (which some say hurt HP)...you might hit 102 HP...at BEST with a custom tune...to hit 110+ which is what that thing is claiming...is RIDICULOUS...

save up for a PCIII or just spend it on mods...either way it'll be better than that...

Old 12-18-2007, 06:25 AM

see,thats what im talkin about! thanx for the feedback, i had no idea that those things were B/S. so what do you guys recommend , im looking for a little more umph on take-off, my bike feels a little sluggish and i just want some more torque on 1st and 2nd gear. once i hit 3rd and up i can pretty much keep up with the 900 cc bikes

Old 12-18-2007, 06:52 AM

If you just want more take off mess with the gearing. I did a vortex steel front sprocket -1 toothwith stock rear and stock 525 chain and can walk all over the other 600's i ride with now. It was only $35. Or you can go all the way and do the -1/+2 with the 520 chain

Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Banned

Chainging your gearing will give you more umph at the bottom end. You will loose a little on the top end, and your speedometer will be off.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Users

^^^^ what they said...although i sort of said that before...haha....yeah gearing will give you more lower end umpf...as a result you will lose a bit of top end AND you will have to shift a little quicker because you will be up in your rpms faster....most people do the -1,+2 conversion...i went with just -1 up front because i still ride a bunch in traffic and i don't want to have to shift all the time....

the 520 is more of a preference than a true upgrade...meaning, you probably won't notice it unless you are on the track....some people just like to make the move for possible future racing or just because...like me...i got it because i was swapping things out anyways so i figured, what the heck

Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's wierd, my F4i with stock gearing passed liter bikes, etc...

oh i understand...we must be talking about straight monkey speed and not in the twists....

muahahahahah...

-1/+2, skip the 520 (just a waste)...and pc3 for good measure.